Re: mixed voltages in Altronix ALTV244 box

On 3 Dec 2005 12:53:01 -0800, smile4camera@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in message
<1133643181.543560.222080@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> I didn't spec the job or buy the parts, all I'm doing is putting it
>all together. The power supply seems to be commonly available here in
>NA.. does the lack of a UL listing mean it's not (supposed to be)
>allowed to be sold in the US?
>
> Jim

Jim,

Among other reasons, one can sell things that would violate building codes if
installed for a particular use in part because whether they conform to codes
depends in part on their actual application.

As designed, the power supply would appear to meet the basic requirements of a
source for Class 1 low-voltage circuits as per NEC Articles 720 and 725 which
specify =< 30 volts and =< 1000VA. I don't recall what the isolation
requirements are.

Since it is not _marked_ as Class 2, whether it electrically meets the
requirements of Class 2 is moot. But a listed Class 2 can be treated as Class 1
even if it has lost its marking. But that in turn means that the wiring from it
has to conform to NEC Chapter 3 requirements which are the same as for 'normal'
110 & 220 AC except, if I recall correctly, conductors as small as 18 AWG may
be used but no smaller. Most Chapter 3 conductors have to be at least 14AWG.

But whether it will satisfy an inspector once installed is a different matter.
If you know where it is to be installed, get a pre-installation opinion from
the/an inspector ("Authority Having Jurisdiction" -- AHJ for short -- in the
parlance of the NEC).

Don't take my word for it, ask your inspector ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org