Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

"Bob Vaughan" <techie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> In article <Gifpf.167891$qk4.136316@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Jeff Volp <JeffVolp@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >"Bob Vaughan" <techie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> Hmm.. My Leviton catalog (old.. I need a new one) shows the 6375 as a 5A
unit,
> and the 6376 as 300w. The website shows the 6375 as 15A, but there still
> appears to be no hardwired 220v solution.   20A or 30A capacity would be
nice.

> I was thinking of something that would mount in a standard 1 or 2 gang
box,
> possibly even with a heatsink protruding.
>
> Something along the lines of a 6291 or 6371, but without the local switch,
> or like a 6296 or 6298 with feedthru, and without the outlet.
>
> I'd also like to see something like the 6376, but with a 500-600w rating.

The ELK 9100 is a 240V hardwired module that can switch up to 30A.  But it
is not designed to fit inside a junction box.  The Leviton 6298 is a Decora
outlet that can switch 240V at 20A.  Both of these are pretty expensive -
probably due to the low demand.

There would be problems developing a dimmer module that can handle that much
current because of the amount of heat that has to be radiated.  Most
electrical boxes today are plastic, and I don't think they can handle that
kind of internal heat load.

Jeff