Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/msg/12c9497651a00b87

> | "The code accepts X10's standard IR format as used in their remotes and
IR
> | bases.  In order to support multiple house codes without requiring
custom IR
> | codes I have introduced an escape mechanism.  The escape code is
> | all-units-off.  The first unit code received after an all-units-off
command
> | sets the new default house code (1=A, 2=B, etc.).  The initial default
house
> | code is the house code of the base's programmed unit id.  To send a real
> | all-units-off command, follow it with a DIM."
> |
> | The escape code mechanism is certainly slick.  What are the issues with
> | doing something similar with RF codes,
>
> There are no issues with RF per se, but the combination of the X10 format
> RF (combined unit and function) and the user interface of the UR24
probably
> won't give you a result that is easy to use.
>
> | or would I be best off trying to do
> | all this with an Ocelot controller?
>
> You mean after the codes have been relayed to the power line?  You could
> translate a sequence of codes from an otherwise unused house code to
> various used house codes, but I don't think you will like the performance.
> And you still have the same user interface issues.

I meant via IR to the Ocelot that can read and process preamble digits from
the UR24.  But as you and Jeff have noted, if you're willing to give up 1
unit code you can make all the other housecodes fairly easy to access.  An
entire command then becomes the "preamble" that alerts the custom
transceiver that a house code address will be the next one entered.

> | I could have sworn I saw a UR24 mode that put an extra pushbutton on the
> | case that you pressed to enter a temporary housecode, but I'll be damned
if
> | I can find it now!
>
> That would be useful, but I've never heard of it.

I'm probably confusing it with something else.  It would be nice, though.
Maybe I dreamt it.  Anyone else have X-10 related dreams?  Most of mine are
lights that won't come on during some sort of serious crisis.

Thanks for your input, Dan!

--
Bobby G.