Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

In article <De6dnYsNyvD1CTDeRVn-ig@xxxxxxx>, ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx (Robert Green) writes:
| Dan Lanciani and Robert Green wrote:
|
| > | RF Dude's request is very similar to something I would love to see (and
| that
| > | I believe can even be implemented using an Ocelot controller).  It would
| be
| > | great to have even a simple TM751-like device that could parse a 3
| "frame"
| > | RF command string so that [6] [ENTER] + [12] [ENTER] + [ON] entered
| together
| > | gets output to the powerline as F12 ON.
| >
| > I did something like this with the IR input code of my replacement
| > RR501/TM751 firmware:
| >
| > http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/msg/12c9497651a00b87
|
| "The code accepts X10's standard IR format as used in their remotes and IR
| bases.  In order to support multiple house codes without requiring custom IR
| codes I have introduced an escape mechanism.  The escape code is
| all-units-off.  The first unit code received after an all-units-off command
| sets the new default house code (1=A, 2=B, etc.).  The initial default house
| code is the house code of the base's programmed unit id.  To send a real
| all-units-off command, follow it with a DIM."
|
| The escape code mechanism is certainly slick.  What are the issues with
| doing something similar with RF codes,

There are no issues with RF per se, but the combination of the X10 format
RF (combined unit and function) and the user interface of the UR24 probably
won't give you a result that is easy to use.

| or would I be best off trying to do
| all this with an Ocelot controller?

You mean after the codes have been relayed to the power line?  You could
translate a sequence of codes from an otherwise unused house code to
various used house codes, but I don't think you will like the performance.
And you still have the same user interface issues.

| I could have sworn I saw a UR24 mode that put an extra pushbutton on the
| case that you pressed to enter a temporary housecode, but I'll be damned if
| I can find it now!

That would be useful, but I've never heard of it.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com