DoorBell Fon difficulties

I have been using my DoorBell Fon for some time now.  All has been well
with it. There is just one thing I wish I could do that should work.

I am only able to talk on the intercom if the call is initiated from the
intercom box.  If someone knocks on the door, rather than ring the bell, I
am not able to speak to them or unlock the door.  The instructions say to
pick up the phone and hit flash.  That does not work for me.  If it makes a
difference, I'm actually using it on door 2 since that was the only way I
could get a distinctive ring on my phone. I've tried pushing flash more
than once with no change. (Supposedly, if connected to D2, you need to hit
flash twice.  But that doesn't make a difference.)

My usual phone is a cordless phone system.  I had assumed this was part of
the problem, but I tried plugging in a very simple, corded phone.  I
unplugged the other phones for this test to make sure there was no
interference from the system or simply too many phones.

I asked this question of tech support for the DoorBell Fon and it took
three weeks to get an answer that basically amounts to, "it works. You must
not be hitting flash twice."  Even without this feature working, I love the
product.  I'm not thrilled with tech support.  Since I've seen a number of
people in this group talking about it, I was hoping someone here would have
a suggestion for me.  the problem I've run into is the large number of
people that don't want to press the call button because it doesn't look
like a traditional doorbell.  So they pound on the door.

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
PO Box 23523, Rochester, NY 14692, (585) 359-8695