Re: $20 Insteon dimmer switch

I don't think the repeater will repeat Insteon so it should not matter
whether it's on or off for the tests. And, as you indicated, you can always
try it both ways. A passive coupler should couple Insteon about as well as
it couples X-10.

I expect UPB to function well but think Insteon will do just as well and
offer more devices with much better prices.

Your signal strength meter should also give you a reading for Insteon
signals although it may not read anything for UPB. My ESM1 was useful to see
presence/absence of Insteon signals.