Re: $20 Insteon dimmer switch

Too bad that I did not know about Icon line of switches a month ago.  I just
bought over $3,000 worth of Insteon switches.  Even with 10% discount Smarthome
gave me, may be I would have saved a lot of money.  Only difference I see is
that Icon has less memory and lacks the LED indicator for brightness level.

Based on replacing 8 X10 switches used to control CFL lights, I have found the
following:
1.  Insteon switches are quilt easy to install and configure.
2.  Any switch can also be a one button controller.  It can control not only the
load connected to it but also other switches linked to it.  Linking is a very
simple procedure.  This makes multi-way switching very easy.
3.  With X10, the lights in one of my bedrooms could not be reliably controlled
from a controller in my living room.  With an Insteon Keypadlinc, it works every
time.  I tested this by assigning the same X10 address to a button on the
Keypadlic and the switch in bedroom.  If I unlink the two and use only the X10,
it does not work.  When I link the two, it works every time.

Ultimately, I expect to end up with about 50 switches controlling about 80
lights.  I hope Insteon will work better than X10.  IMHO Insteon controller with
only 5 sets of buttons is not enough.  There should be at least 16 as in X10
controller.  I also can't wait for Insteon motion detector.

--
Manny Bhuta
Randolph, NJ USA