Re: Insteon Test Report

Range shouldn't be a problem as I can have the other unit plugged in
less than 20' away in the bedroom closet where the signal is fine.
Talking with Smarthome today, they said that as long as I have one
plugged into each leg I can have additional ones plugged into either leg
to create additional wireless bridges as required. Although only one is
fried, they are advance shipping a pair so I'll have 3 good ones to play
with for awhile (assuming no more duds!).

After doing the continuous signal test and seeing it successfully pass,
I was encouraged to continue testing. With NO RF repeaters plugged in
now I am controlling one wall switch and 2 appliance modules at 3
corners of the house.  They work equally well with both the controller
and the X10 Translator. Perhaps my ACT repeater is providing sufficient
coupling even without the RF repeaters.

As for the translator, it's the size of an appliance module with a USB
port that is not to be used by the customer - for Smarthome use only.
Don't know if that'll be part of the production run or not as mine is a
beta unit. Programming is done by pressing the set button for 10
seconds, then sending an X10 address 3 times (I used a MaxiController),
and then pressing the set button on the switch or module.  Worked fine
for all three first time.  I also found that you can program a module
more than once so that it will respond to more than one code.  I
programmed the translator with X10 code C9, then linked a module to it
so it would respond to C9. I then added O2 to the translator and linked
the same module again. Now, the translator will control the module when
it receives either C9 or O2 plus a command.  I can think of some
interesting applications for that.

As for timing, the translator seems to add no perceptible delay. While
direct controller to Insteon is a bit faster, the translator makes it no
slower than a normal X10 command.  This weekend (or maybe sooner) I'll
install 8 more switches/modules and start running some sequences to see
how the translator fairs when digesting a steady stream of signals.

From:Dave Houston
nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx