Re: Pool Valve Control

> > I'm using the Hayward "off-line" chlorinator, and when
> > I automated the plumbing with actuators to control the
> > spa, I needed to be able to turn the chlorinator off when
> > in "spa mode" (to avoid bleaching the spa occupants)
> > but on in "pool mode."  I've been using an RCS X-10
> > relay controlling 24VAC to an irrigation valve with good
> > results.
>

> An alternate method, probably not convenient now that your system
> is installed, would have been to draw pool water into the spa
> heater intake.  Once it's in the pool the chlorine is diluted.

The cost of propane pains me, so for quickest heating, I circulate the
water completely within the spa when I'm in "spa mode."  Accordingly, I
needed to shut off the chlorinator.

Another approach would have been to put chlorinator output in the pool
return line only, not the spa return line.  But my gut told me that the
additional chlorination directly to the spa (when in regular "pool
mode") keeps the spa a bit cleaner.