Re: Power Cycle

On 3/26/2021 11:13 PM, RTS wrote:
> On 3/26/2021 4:58 PM, ABLE1 wrote:
>> On 3/26/2021 4:28 PM, RTS wrote:
>>>   as best as I can remember, (an effort in it self)
>>> the detectors were the old Ademco type with the off set
>>> heat sensor wings at the smoke chamber..
>>> (probability 10-15 years ago?  maybe more...)
>>> All Photo's,  never have used the ions....
>>

>> So as I am trying to visualize this??  The Photo Smoke
>> is mounted on the ceiling of ?drywall? that on the other
>> side is this PVC bag wrapped insulation.  So the PVC bag
>> gives off a gas a molecules that infiltrates the smoke
>> through the wire or box penetration of the drywall ceiling
>> sufficient enough to reflect enough infrared light in the
>> sensing chamber to trip the detector.
>>
>> WOW!!!  So if you knew that it might happen and the code
>> requires smokes to be installed you would have to fill up
>> the penetration area with fire caulk to stop the infiltration
>> of this nasty molecule??
>>
>> Or maybe run the other way!!!!  Scary!!  :-(
>>
>> Have a good weekend guys!!!
>>
>> Les
>>

> not quite as bad as that,  the smokes were mounted to
> oxt (round) metal boxes connected by conduit, spaced as
> required along the roof supports. (no sheet rock)
> The PVC was mounted directly to the ceiling/roofing between
> the roof supports..  Metal "chicken wire" was used to hold
> the PVC against the metal roofing...
> If you can imagine it,
> smokes detector
> metal box
> mounting clamps
> chicken wire
> pvc insulation
> metal roofing
>
> Were talking 20-25 feet above concrete floor..
> with an air gap of 1-2 inches at best....between
> sensor input screens and pvc surface...
> With maybe 6-9 inches gap between pvc and roofing...
> No forced air flow, in ceiling area...
> just crown venting of roof line...
> Only saving grace was it was open area, with 6 large
> drive through doors (3 on each side)..
>
> Never had a problem during year only at summer..
>
> ;-)
>
> RTS

Ok, so this was more of a warehouse or industrial environment
than what I was thinking a residential.

Yes, live and learn.

Don't know if I mentioned it here but I recently had a customer
with a 100,000 sqft warehouse decided since the previous tenant
moved out it would be a "good idea" to power wash the entire
building from the top down.  Fortunately no dispatch of the trucks
just a LOT of troubles.  Turned the system OFF for about 5 days!!

It has since been decided it was NOT a good idea!!

Les