Re: Power Cycle

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 5:07:22 PM UTC-4, ABLE1 wrote:

> Well Jim, that's going to be a rather complex to answer. But I=20
> will try to make it as simple possible.=20
>=20
> I have a customer that I installed Wifi point in a horse barn that is=20
> about 750 feet from the house where the Modem/Router is located. In=20
> between there are 2 Wireless dishes to connect the barn to a pole on=20
> a hill above another barn. Then they wanted to have cameras installed=20
> and have the ability to view from Florida.=20
>=20
> What happens from time to time (once a month or two) is that the WiFi=20
> point, Data Switches, and other devices in between here and there lock=20
> up and need to be power cycled. One is located in a Tobacco Barn and=20
> another in the attic of the horse barn. So when something locks up=20
> someone needs to go to specific (maybe) point and unplug/wait/plug back=
=20
> in and restart to get stuff working again and is it supposed to do.=20
>=20
> Now, with these timers (3 ea) installed every night at 2:28am the power=
=20
> is disconnected. Then at 2:30am power is then reapplied and stuff=20
> restarts and HOPEFULLY reconnects the links. This is set to do this=20
> every day at the same time.=20
>=20
> Only time will tell if it is effective.=20
>=20
> I hope I typed that so it was easy to follow as well as to give=20
> the readers some ideas to apply for future use.=20
>=20
> Les

Hey COOOL ! I've thought about doing something like that for my office equi=
pment but just never got around to it. But now that I know what I can use t=
o do it - - - - - I just may =3D =3D =3D
NAH ! I'll just continue to think about it and never do it.
But anyway - - - - as an aside. I don't know if you have ever experienced t=
his or not or if you did have a problem  - - - - you didn't realize what th=
e cause was.

Years ago I had a customer with a barn and half a dozen or so horses, a few=
 goats a mule and a couple of donkeys. Lots of rabbits, ducks, chickens and=
 all kinds of animals. This guy was a prominent and very successful dentist=
. But =3D =3D =3D =3D  the animals belonged to his wife. She was some kind =
of weird about having animals around her. Along with a lot of cats who clim=
bed up on everything, she actually had a huge pig living in the house with =
it's own room, a couch and a TV. Damn thing wasn't house broken either and =
she'd run around cleaning up pig shit and piss all day.=20

One day I'm working in the house all by my self (except for the pig) and I =
hear the lady of the house talking down stairs. So, I come down stairs look=
ing to greet my customer and there's no one in the house. So I think maybe =
the kids came home and left right away. I go back up stairs and in a little=
 while I hear her talking down stairs again, I come down and nothing. So I =
rican parrots in a cage over in the corner of the living room having a conv=
ersation. Man - - - -  they sounded just like her talking.=20

Anyway, they had me put a fire alarm in the barn with heat and smoke detect=
ors. By the way, the barn was heated too. About a year went by and a smoke =
detector went bad. I changed it. Couple of weeks later, another one goes ba=
d. Couple of weeks the third one goes bad. So I naturally thought I'd got a=
 bad lot of smokes. So, about a year goes by and another smoke detector goe=
s bad. Month later another, few weeks later the third one.=20
So to make it a short story. I sent the smoke detectors back to ESL and I u=
ltimately found out that the combination of the ammonia and other elements =
in the animal piss created a crystalized deposit on the printed circuit boa=
rds shorting out the components.

I replaced the smoke detectors with heat detectors and had no more  problem=
s.

So if you start having problems with some of the electronics in the barn,=
=20
Take heed.  =20