Re: Residential video surveillance questions

On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:21:51 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
> spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote: > On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:51:35 AM UTC-5=
, TomR wrote: > >> I don't really know what a BNC type CCTV Monitor is alth=
ough I'm >> sure I >> >> could find out with a Google search or two. But, d=
o most of these >> security >> >> type DVR's have the ability to play back =
on a regular TV if I wanted >> to do >> >> that? > > A BNC connector (Bayon=
et Neill=96Concelman) is the quick > connect/disconnect (quarter turn) RF c=
onnector used for coaxial > cable. Monitors made specifically for CCTV (Clo=
sed Circuit > Television) systems usually have this type of connector on th=
em, but > many newer DVR's (since they are essentially a computer with modi=
fied > video boards in them to accept multiple video inputs) now come with =
a > VGA Computer Monitor connector and sometimes a BNC output as well. > Th=
e second part (about playback on a "Regular TV") begs the question: > What'=
s a "Regular TV"? :) > It really depends on the type of TV and what inputs =
are available on > it. Since most flat screens don't have a BNC Input, I su=
ppose if you > wanted to, you could use the VGA to the Flat screen VGA Inpu=
t, or you > could buy adapters at Radio Shack or other electronics store to=
 > convert the BNC to RCA connectors which most if not all New TV's > have.=
 Before you ask, RCA connectors are the kind on most Stereo > (Audio/Speake=
r) Cables/Connectors and Video Game Consoles > (Audio/Video: Red/ White/Yel=
low) Cables/Connectors. > But yes, the short answer is YES. :) Thanks again=
. For now, I am thinking of maybe just installing a temporary system like t=
his one: http://www.securitywarehousestore.com/store/product.php?id_product=
=3D7300 . I can place the cameras in and the receiver in locations that are=
 secure. And, if we have a break-in or problem, I can go back later and loo=
k at the video clips by playing them back on a TV etc.

The resolution is pretty poor in multicamera view and you're only getting 1=
5 frames per second. That means you will be getting a "jerky" picture playb=
ack.=20

Don't believe the 30 foot night view spec, they're not usually as good as t=
hey say they are.. even on professionl cameras. so on a DIY system I would =
think it would be worse.=20

If you're trying to see a large area, you're not gong to get a very good vi=
ew of who the person is. You'll only know that "someone" was there. If it's=
 a close up view of the person like someone standing at your door, it will =
work better, but will still be kind of blurry. At night I'm guessing it'll =
be all but worthless for ID purposes, unless they get up very close to the =
camera. I would investigate further on how you go about playing back the vi=
deo. But for the price ..... at least it's "something".