Re: Residential video surveillance questions

spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10:51:35 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
>
>> I don't really know what a BNC type CCTV Monitor is although I'm
>> sure I
>>
>> could find out with a Google search or two.  But, do most of these
>> security
>>
>> type DVR's have the ability to play back on a regular TV if I wanted
>> to do
>>
>> that?
>
> A BNC connector (Bayonet Neill?Concelman) is the quick
> connect/disconnect (quarter turn) RF connector used for coaxial
> cable. Monitors made specifically for CCTV (Closed Circuit
> Television) systems usually have this type of connector on them, but
> many newer DVR's (since they are essentially a computer with modified
> video boards in them to accept multiple video inputs) now come with a
> VGA Computer Monitor connector and sometimes a BNC output as well.
> The second part (about playback on a "Regular TV") begs the question:
> What's a "Regular TV"?  :)
> It really depends on the type of TV and what inputs are available on
> it. Since most flat screens don't have a BNC Input, I suppose if you
> wanted to, you could use the VGA to the Flat screen VGA Input, or you
> could buy adapters at Radio Shack or other electronics store to
> convert the BNC to RCA connectors which most if not all New TV's
> have. Before you ask, RCA connectors are the kind on most Stereo
> (Audio/Speaker) Cables/Connectors and Video Game Consoles
> (Audio/Video: Red/ White/Yellow) Cables/Connectors.
> But yes, the short answer is YES. :)

Thanks again.

For now, I am thinking of maybe just installing a temporary system like this
one:
http://www.securitywarehousestore.com/store/product.php?id_product=7300 .

I can place the cameras in and the receiver in locations that are secure.
And, if we have a break-in or problem, I can go back later and look at the
video clips by playing them back on a TV etc.