Re: Cheap DVR's Get Hacked

spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Wrote:

>On Sunday, February 3, 2013 11:40:57 AM UTC-5, sp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> > Interesting points...  I'll get back to you on the cool stuff.
>>

>> > I wanted to address this one in particular.  I used to think those rural
>>

>> > 'cameras' were IR sensors to detect engine heat, for sensing
>>

>> > presence/absence of vehicles.  You know, to take the place of the
>>

>> > induction loops in concrete.
>>

>> > Are you saying those are actually cameras?!  Shit, we have 6 of them at
>>

>> > each intersection in the suburb outside of Houston where I reside.  All
>>

>> > told there are 100's of them in an area with ~12K households.  I used to
>>

>> > think they were cams. and wondered who monitored them, and why they were
>>

>> > not on public websites for "us" to see the traffic.  Are you saying they
>>

>> > actually *are* cams, not traffic signal sensors?
>>

>> They are BOTH. Below is a link to explain in in much greater detail than appropriate here, however...DO NOT be fooled into thinking it is used only for traffic control. NEARLY EVERY major technological break through we have experienced in our lifetime has come about as a direct result of Military development and deployment and then later introduced to the general public in a form more "Acceptable" for use by the government to "monitor" what we do, where we go, and what we say, under the guise of "protecting" us or "enhancing" our lives. In other words, "How can we spy on the people and make them believe we are benefiting them in some way."
>>

>> http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-43098-201311/unrestricted/APPENDIX-B2.PDF
>
>For those who may not want to read the PDF, in short those "Cameras" only need to detect the presence of a vehicle to operate for traffic control, however they have the ability (or not, depending on the camera used) to see normal video, as well as detect "Occupancy" "Occupancy COUNT" and even Vehicle classification, profile & shape.

I read the .pdf.  That is some crazy shit man. When I saw "occupancy
count" and "vehicle off center in lane" PLUS driver sleeping detection
that is really going overboard.  Who voted on this and why were the
public not informed of the capabilities of these systems?  Yeah, I
know.. assume you are being taped anywhere except home - but using
traffic signaling and detection devices for surveillance under the guise
of "safety" is pushing the Big Brother thing waayyyy too far.

What's worse is I'm just now hearing about this.  That means the
government has kept it quiet from civilian contractors.

Now, I wonder if they all get hooked to an OC3 trunk and monitored in
some basement in Langley, VA eventually?