Re: Cheap DVR's Get Hacked

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 12:01:31 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
> spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Wrote:=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> >Now....Go Google=AD=99 "Trapwire"
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Yep, talk about a casting a wide net to catch a few fishes.  I read all
>=20
> the bid requests/specifications and it's downright scary what they are
>=20
> building. =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Have you seen the movie "Enemy of the State" with Will Smith?  I had to
>=20
> laugh back then at the ease of which the NSA was tapping into private
>=20
> CCTV systems in real time and the real-time satellite/drone/hello
>=20
> pictures. =20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> I'm not laughing anymore... They can (and do) have that shit up and
>=20
> running.  Your 'smart phone' is a surveillance device that just happens
>=20
> to make phone calls.  Need someone's location right NOW? check! (GPS,
>=20
> cell tower triangulation), who am I communicating with? check! (voice
>=20
> and data stored for every single OTA transaction),want to know my
>=20
> associates too? check! (phone/email contact lists, Facebook, Google,
>=20
> Twitter, Linked In), Wanna see and hear what I'm doing right now? check!
>=20
> (remote microphone and camera switch-on).  --- And that's just the damn
>=20
> phone.=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>  X-Box with Kinect has eyes and ears in your living room, bedroom.  Your
>=20
> laptop's built-in camera and mic. can be turned on remotely.  Of course,
>=20
> it captures all your keystrokes (passwords known), and all data sent and
>=20
> received is captured and archived "just in case" at massive data centers
>=20
> that feed off major backbone "splitters" (for lack of a better more
>=20
> accurate description).  An AT&T employee turned whistle-blower already
>=20
> confirmed the existence of a 'device' that grabs *everything* on the
>=20
> [...]

You are referring to former AT&T technician, Mark Klein who revealed the ex=
istence of a room called "Room 641A" in San Francisco, CA.
The room is fed by fiber optic lines from beam splitters installed in the f=
iber optic trunks that carry Internet backbone traffic.=20
The data is routed to an Narus STA 6400, a device designed to intercept and=
 analyze Internet communications at very high speeds.

This is part of a program called "ECHELON".

Decades ago I used to work in a lot of Telephone company C.O.'s
One of AT&T, MCI, SPRINT, BELL, etc.'s pieces of "Test Equipment" is a devi=
ce called a "Firebird". (a similar unit called a "T-BERD" is also used). Th=
e FIREBERD 6000A is a legitimate piece of testing equipment, but I wish I h=
ad a dollar for every time I entered a C.O. Switch Site to work on their Ac=
cess Control System and heard a half dozen of these units squawking with te=
lephone conversations and the switch room was suspiciously deserted, NO TEC=
HNICIANS anywhere in site.

There are hoards of these types (Room641A) of facilities all over the count=
ry, Including one in the back room of my very first Internet Provider nearl=
y 20 years ago.
Most are "Fronts" in somewhat plain sight. others are underground or otherw=
ise out of sight.=20
There's a lot more I can't speak of but, about the movie....
Not only have I seen the movie "Enemy of the State", but the opening of the=
 movie shows a helicopter flying around the "Facility" I worked at for year=
s, and if you noticed all of the cameras on the rooftops of those buildings=
, then you've seen my work (although they have now all been replaced with n=
ewer equipment). I installed those (and hundreds more) which was all part o=
f a massive upgrade to the existing system of several hundred more that wer=
e previously installed. I not only added hundreds more to that existing sys=
tem of several hundred, I also re-located (within the building) and upgrade=
d the head end equipment in the Security Operations Command Center, convert=
ed coax to multi-mode multi-strand fiber, black & white to color, analog to=
 digital, etc.
I've also installed cameras in Micro Chip manufacturing Clean Rooms, and Pr=
otected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those "Traffic =
Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these "Safety" cameras=
 in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic problems? How about h=
ow so many cameras can possibly be managed on such a large scale (IP Camera=
s on fiber, transmission speed and Resolution are very critical)? Where do =
you think they are fed to for analyzing, using Facial Recognition as well a=
s license plate Optical Character Recognition (OCR)? They can track your ev=
ery move across the country.
At one time, there were only 7 KNOWN Cray Super Computers in the world. 4 o=
f them were thought to be at the "Facility" at Fort George G. Meade (known =
as "The Fort") in Laurel, Maryland (I used to live 10 minutes away).
The fastest Super Computer in the world, a Cray Titan with a peak processin=
g speed of 17.59 PFLOPS (petaflops) went "online" October 29th 2012 in Oak =
Ridge, Tennessee, a "Not so Secret" facility.
Let's face it, Privacy as you knew it, no longer exists.