Re: Cheap DVR's Get Hacked

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 11:40:57 AM UTC-5, sp...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Sunday, February 3, 2013 7:25:35 AM UTC-5, G. Morgan wrote:
>=20
> > spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Wrote:=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > >I've also installed cameras in Micro Chip manufacturing Clean Rooms, a=
nd Protected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those "Tra=
ffic Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these "Safety" ca=
meras in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic problems?=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Interesting points...  I'll get back to you on the cool stuff.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > I wanted to address this one in particular.  I used to think those rura=
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > 'cameras' were IR sensors to detect engine heat, for sensing
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > presence/absence of vehicles.  You know, to take the place of the
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > induction loops in concrete.
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > Are you saying those are actually cameras?!  Shit, we have 6 of them at
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > each intersection in the suburb outside of Houston where I reside.  All
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > told there are 100's of them in an area with ~12K households.  I used t=
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > think they were cams. and wondered who monitored them, and why they wer=
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > not on public websites for "us" to see the traffic.  Are you saying the=
>=20
> >=20
>=20
> > actually *are* cams, not traffic signal sensors?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> They are BOTH. Below is a link to explain in in much greater detail than =
appropriate here, however...DO NOT be fooled into thinking it is used only =
for traffic control. NEARLY EVERY major technological break through we have=
 experienced in our lifetime has come about as a direct result of Military =
development and deployment and then later introduced to the general public =
in a form more "Acceptable" for use by the government to "monitor" what we =
do, where we go, and what we say, under the guise of "protecting" us or "en=
hancing" our lives. In other words, "How can we spy on the people and make =
them believe we are benefiting them in some way."
>=20
>=20
>=20
> http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-43098-201311/unrestricted/=
APPENDIX-B2.PDF

For those who may not want to read the PDF, in short those "Cameras" only n=
eed to detect the presence of a vehicle to operate for traffic control, how=
ever they have the ability (or not, depending on the camera used) to see no=
rmal video, as well as detect "Occupancy" "Occupancy COUNT" and even Vehicl=
e classification, profile & shape.