Re: Cheap DVR's Get Hacked

"G. Morgan" <sealteam6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:c8lsg8hfs2gvuv0cte06ko6h5cnmpl0o3d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Wrote:
>
>>I've also installed cameras in Micro Chip manufacturing Clean Rooms, and
>>Protected Cray Super Computer Facilities. When you see all of those
>>"Traffic Safety Cameras", ever wonder why there is a need for these
>>"Safety" cameras in some of the most rural areas with no real traffic
>>problems?
>
> Interesting points...  I'll get back to you on the cool stuff.
>
> I wanted to address this one in particular.  I used to think those rural
> 'cameras' were IR sensors to detect engine heat, for sensing
> presence/absence of vehicles.  You know, to take the place of the
> induction loops in concrete.
>
> Are you saying those are actually cameras?!  Shit, we have 6 of them at
> each intersection in the suburb outside of Houston where I reside.  All
> told there are 100's of them in an area with ~12K households.  I used to
> think they were cams. and wondered who monitored them, and why they were
> not on public websites for "us" to see the traffic.  Are you saying they
> actually *are* cams, not traffic signal sensors?

On that point, I have heard that they are really cameras and the system is
using "video motion" to detect a vehicle to trip the lights.  It makes a
much better trip mechanism than the ground loops that get fried by lightning
strikes and/or damage from being in a hostile road surface.  Not to mention
the problem of being on a motorcycle waiting "hours" for the light to change
so that you can pass through the intersection safely when no other traffic
is present.  :-)

Les