Re: Low-cost burglar alarm system needed

JoeRaisin wrote:

>> Chris wrote:
>>> Tom,
>>>
>>> By the sounds of it, you could probably get away with one motion
>>> detector (they generally have a range of 40') to cover the main
>>> area. A door contact may be wise, but probably unnecessary in this case
> [...]
>>> they could sell you.  I know in my office there are a few old
>>> control panels that I keep around for power supplies, old keypads
>>> for extra parts, random motion detectors that aren't in inventory,
>>> etc. A local shop may be able to put a system together for you,
>>> pre-program it in their office, sell you the control panel, backup
>>> battery, power supply, 30 watt siren (anything less is likely
>>> useless for your non-monitored situation), keypad, and a motion
>>> detector. Then show you how to wire what where (some sort of labels
>>> would be nice) and let you install it yourself.  As the only parts
>>> in inventory (unless they count absolutely everything) would be the
>>> power supply, battery, siren, and maybe motion detector, it
>>> shouldn't cost much.  They may even be able to throw in a scrap box
>>> of wire, the type that doesn't have enough in it anymore to be
>>> worth packing around to jobs.
>>>
>>> For me, especially if I had some sort of assurance that you'd be
>>> back spending more money with me later on, I would probably only
>>> charge $100 or so for everything, maybe $200 at the most.  It would
>>> be an old system, the keypad probably wouldn't look that great
>>> (yellowed, old zone lists, etc.), you wouldn't have any sort of
>>> warranty, but it would do it's job.  Plus I would still trust that
>>> system more than any sort of system from a hardware store.
>>>
>>> - Chris
>>
>> Thanks Chris. That's a lot of good information and good ideas.
>>
>> I hadn't thought about the possibility of piecing together some
>> possibly-used parts from my local alarm company.
>>
>> I do have a local alarm company that I use for other occupied
>> properties with existing professionally installed alarm systems,
>> fire alarm inspections, etc.  I stopped in there last week and we
>> talked a little about what I may need, but I didn't have any sample
>> print-outs with me of some of the alarm systems I saw online.  They
>> said I should stop back with the example print-outs and they would
>> see what they could figure out.  Even though I did plan on doing
>> that, I hadn't thought about the possibility that they may have some
>> second-hand stuff around etc.  Like you, I was thinking that maybe
>> all I would need would be a motion sensor to do the detecting, plus
>> whatever else I would need in terms of keypad, a siren, etc. So, yes, I
>> will try that idea and see what they say.
>>
>> Also, the alarm company is right down the street from my property,
>> so if they can hook me up with some inexpensive parts, my guess is
>> that they would probably be fine with hooking it up for me for maybe
>> $100 or so in labor.

> If the house is undergoing a lot of renovation, it would be the most
> cost effective time to have that company install a wired system
> throughout the structure.
>
> You don't have to have it monitored, even turned on or even installed
> - just have it prewired in case you want to put a system in at a

True, and that's probably what will happen when the final plan unfolds for
the renovation.  It will be a rental property, so having a pre-wired fire
detection and alarm system would be a good idea anyway.  And, doing it while
all of the walls and ceilings are open makes the most sense.  The one-time
cost of the system will not be too much and then the tenant(s) can choose
whether they want to pay for monitoring or not.  But either way, they'll
have a good security system in place which is a good feature.

But, for now, all I need is a simple alarm system while it's vacant to
protect what is in the basement (tools, the gas boiler, etc).