Re: Low-cost burglar alarm system needed

Chris wrote:
> Tom,
>
> By the sounds of it, you could probably get away with one motion
> detector (they generally have a range of 40') to cover the main area.
>
> A door contact may be wise, but probably unnecessary in this case as
> the motion could be programmed as an entry/exit zone.
>
> If I were you, I would look at calling the local alarm companies in
> your area (not the national types) and see if they have something
> they could sell you.  I know in my office there are a few old control
> panels that I keep around for power supplies, old keypads for extra
> parts, random motion detectors that aren't in inventory, etc.
>
> A local shop may be able to put a system together for you,
> pre-program it in their office, sell you the control panel, backup
> battery, power supply, 30 watt siren (anything less is likely useless
> for your non-monitored situation), keypad, and a motion detector.
> Then show you how to wire what where (some sort of labels would be
> nice) and let you install it yourself.  As the only parts in
> inventory (unless they count absolutely everything) would be the
> power supply, battery, siren, and maybe motion detector, it shouldn't
> cost much.  They may even be able to throw in a scrap box of wire,
> the type that doesn't have enough in it anymore to be worth packing
> around to jobs.
>
> For me, especially if I had some sort of assurance that you'd be back
> spending more money with me later on, I would probably only charge
> $100 or so for everything, maybe $200 at the most.  It would be an
> old system, the keypad probably wouldn't look that great (yellowed,
> old zone lists, etc.), you wouldn't have any sort of warranty, but it
> would do it's job.  Plus I would still trust that system more than
> any sort of system from a hardware store.
>
> - Chris

Thanks Chris. That's a lot of good information and good ideas.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of piecing together some
possibly-used parts from my local alarm company.

I do have a local alarm company that I use for other occupied properties
with existing professionally installed alarm systems, fire alarm
inspections, etc.  I stopped in there last week and we talked a little about
what I may need, but I didn't have any sample print-outs with me of some of
the alarm systems I saw online.  They said I should stop back with the
example print-outs and they would see what they could figure out.  Even
though I did plan on doing that, I hadn't thought about the possibility that
they may have some second-hand stuff around etc.  Like you, I was thinking
that maybe all I would need would be a motion sensor to do the detecting,
plus whatever else I would need in terms of keypad, a siren, etc.

So, yes, I will try that idea and see what they say.

Also, the alarm company is right down the street from my property, so if
they can hook me up with some inexpensive parts, my guess is that they would
probably be fine with hooking it up for me for maybe $100 or so in labor.