Re: Low-cost burglar alarm system needed

Jim wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:06:18 PM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
>
> I don't know where you live but if it get's below freezing for any
> amount of time be aware that wireless devices have batteries that can
> freeze and cause the system to become inoperative.
>
> If you're only using one or two motion sensors It would only take you
> a short time to run a wire to each one. If it's unoccupied, just run
> the wires temporarily around the perimeter of the rooms. It's
> probably a 2 or three hour job at the most for someone who's familar
> with it. Maybe a nubee four/five hours including programing.
>
> Anything that you can buy over the counter is probably not going to
> be of any quality and you have no idea how long it would last or if
> it would be troublsome installing. And unfortunatley there wouldn't
> be anyone here who would have an specific knowledge on those types of
> systems.  On the other hand, if you buy something professional,
> there's no place for you to get help should you need it. Typical
> dilemma for a DIY'er.

Thanks Jim.  All good points.  And, I didn't think about (or know about) the
issue with the temp going below freezing.  It is a vacant property that I am
in the process of winterizing since the pipes have been ripped out which
means there is no water and no heat.  That means that the basement will go
below freezing during some days and overnights during the winter.