Re: Low-cost burglar alarm system needed

On 12/3/2012 4:25 PM, TomR wrote:
> I am looking for a low-cost burglar alarm system -- one that will primarily
> just protect one large room (a basement with outdoor door and window
> access); and probably one that will just go off as a deterrent and will not
> dial out to police etc.  This is for a vacant property that I own (that is
> essentially a vacant "shell") with no phone line, no Internet access, etc.
> And, I don't want to pay for a monthly monitoring fee.
>
> Here are two examples of systems that I have been researching so far:
> http://swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1089
> http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-73-wireless-alarm-systems.aspx
>
> The Swann system can't be set up with an entry delay -- which is a huge
> drawback for me -- otherwise I probably would have just gotten that system
> and installed it.  The only way that I could enter the building without the
> alarm going off with that system is with a wireless key fob, but that won't
> work for me.  The reason is that I need to be able to have several different
> people be able to enter and disable the alarm by entering the passcode.  I
> can't give everyone a key fob, and I don't want to have to rely on them
> having a key fob with them when they go in.
>
> The second link is just a website with various systems for a little more
> money, including some that say they are Honeywell/Ademco systems.
>
> I think all that I really need is a wireless system, powered by the house
> electric system, with a battery backup, and mostly just motion sensors --
> but definitely with a programmable entry delay and exit delay.
>
> Any suggestions on where I could find these at a retail location without
> having to order online?  I would rather be able to go to a retail location
> and see what I would be getting before buying it if possible.
>
> I do read all replies and I will respond back with more info if needed etc.
>
> Thanks.

You can find what you are looking for at Radio Shack, Home Depot and
probably other DIY stores as well.

Judging by your level of commitment to this project, I would recommend
against a wireless system.  If the basement is unfinished, a wired
system won't be difficult to install and doesn't require nearly as much
attention later on.

Protect the space with motions, but you may want at least one door
contact for the entry delay.

Since the system isn't monitored, the entry delay can be considered a
moot point.  You open the door, the alarm activates, you turn it off.
No one is coming in any case...