Re: Low-cost burglar alarm system needed

JoeRaisin wrote:
> On 12/3/2012 4:25 PM, TomR wrote:
>> I am looking for a low-cost burglar alarm system -- one that will
>> primarily just protect one large room (a basement with outdoor door
>> and window access); and probably one that will just go off as a
>> deterrent and will not dial out to police etc.  This is for a vacant
>> property that I own (that is essentially a vacant "shell") with no
>> phone line, no Internet access, etc. And, I don't want to pay for a
>> monthly monitoring fee. Here are two examples of systems that I have been
>> researching so far:
>> http://swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1089
>> http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-73-wireless-alarm-systems.aspx
>>
>> The Swann system can't be set up with an entry delay -- which is a
>> huge drawback for me -- otherwise I probably would have just gotten
>> that system and installed it.  The only way that I could enter the
>> building without the alarm going off with that system is with a
>> wireless key fob, but that won't work for me.  The reason is that I
>> need to be able to have several different people be able to enter
>> and disable the alarm by entering the passcode.  I can't give
>> everyone a key fob, and I don't want to have to rely on them having
>> a key fob with them when they go in. The second link is just a website
>> with various systems for a little
>> more money, including some that say they are Honeywell/Ademco
>> systems. I think all that I really need is a wireless system, powered by
>> the
>> house electric system, with a battery backup, and mostly just motion
>> sensors -- but definitely with a programmable entry delay and exit
>> delay. Any suggestions on where I could find these at a retail location
>> without having to order online?  I would rather be able to go to a
>> retail location and see what I would be getting before buying it if
>> possible. I do read all replies and I will respond back with more info if
>> needed etc. Thanks.

> You can find what you are looking for at Radio Shack, Home Depot and
> probably other DIY stores as well.

Thanks.  I found that most of the DIY systems are sold online only by places
like Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc.  Even most Radio Shacks near me didn't
have them in the store. but one or two of the larger Radio Shack stores in
my area do carry them in stock.  The Swann system I mentioned was in stock,
but it has the no-entry-delay problem.

> Judging by your level of commitment to this project, I would recommend
> against a wireless system.  If the basement is unfinished, a wired
> system won't be difficult to install and doesn't require nearly as
> much attention later on.
>
> Protect the space with motions, but you may want at least one door
> contact for the entry delay.

I only need a system temporarily -- maybe up to a year max -- since the
property will be occupied after it is rehabbed.  I am not opposed to a wired
system, but many of the low-cost ones say the are wireless and promote the
fact that they don't require wiring.  I haven't seen any low-cost wired
systems yet.

> Since the system isn't monitored, the entry delay can be considered a
> moot point.  You open the door, the alarm activates, you turn it off.
> No one is coming in any case...

Actually, that wouldn't work in my situation.  I own two properties that
back up to the vacant property in question and that have tenants in them;
and the vacant property is attached to an occupied property with neighbors
who know me.  The theft may have even taken place during the daytime when
people in nearby properties were home (according to the police who
investigated), or it could have happened at night.  But, in either case, the
point of the alarm system is that: 1) it could scare off the burglars; and,
2) it could alert my tenants and neighbors nearby that someone may be
breaking in.  But, if every time I or someone else goes into the alarmed
building for good reason the alarm goes off, I'll end up with multiple
"false" alarms -- and eventually the tenants and neighbors will just ignore
them like people ignore car alarms.