Re: Low-cost burglar alarm system needed

Tom,

By the sounds of it, you could probably get away with one motion detector (=
they generally have a range of 40') to cover the main area.

A door contact may be wise, but probably unnecessary in this case as the mo=
tion could be programmed as an entry/exit zone.

If I were you, I would look at calling the local alarm companies in your ar=
ea (not the national types) and see if they have something they could sell =
you.  I know in my office there are a few old control panels that I keep ar=
ound for power supplies, old keypads for extra parts, random motion detecto=
rs that aren't in inventory, etc.

A local shop may be able to put a system together for you, pre-program it i=
n their office, sell you the control panel, backup battery, power supply, 3=
0 watt siren (anything less is likely useless for your non-monitored situat=
ion), keypad, and a motion detector.  Then show you how to wire what where =
(some sort of labels would be nice) and let you install it yourself.  As th=
e only parts in inventory (unless they count absolutely everything) would b=
e the power supply, battery, siren, and maybe motion detector, it shouldn't=
 cost much.  They may even be able to throw in a scrap box of wire, the typ=
e that doesn't have enough in it anymore to be worth packing around to jobs=
.

For me, especially if I had some sort of assurance that you'd be back spend=
ing more money with me later on, I would probably only charge $100 or so fo=
r everything, maybe $200 at the most.  It would be an old system, the keypa=
d probably wouldn't look that great (yellowed, old zone lists, etc.), you w=
ouldn't have any sort of warranty, but it would do it's job.  Plus I would =
still trust that system more than any sort of system from a hardware store.

- Chris