Re: Low-cost burglar alarm system needed

"TomR" <TomR@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> JoeRaisin wrote:

>>> Thanks Chris. That's a lot of good information and good ideas.
>>>
>>> I hadn't thought about the possibility of piecing together some
>>> possibly-used parts from my local alarm company.
>>>
>>> I do have a local alarm company that I use for other occupied
>>> properties with existing professionally installed alarm systems,
>>> fire alarm inspections, etc.  I stopped in there last week and we
>>> talked a little about what I may need, but I didn't have any sample
>>> print-outs with me of some of the alarm systems I saw online.  They
>>> said I should stop back with the example print-outs and they would
>>> see what they could figure out.  Even though I did plan on doing
>>> that, I hadn't thought about the possibility that they may have some
>>> second-hand stuff around etc.  Like you, I was thinking that maybe
>>> all I would need would be a motion sensor to do the detecting, plus
>>> whatever else I would need in terms of keypad, a siren, etc. So, yes, I
>>> will try that idea and see what they say.
>>>
>>> Also, the alarm company is right down the street from my property,
>>> so if they can hook me up with some inexpensive parts, my guess is
>>> that they would probably be fine with hooking it up for me for maybe
>>> $100 or so in labor.
>
>> If the house is undergoing a lot of renovation, it would be the most
>> cost effective time to have that company install a wired system
>> throughout the structure.
>>
>> You don't have to have it monitored, even turned on or even installed
>> - just have it prewired in case you want to put a system in at a
>> later date.
>
> True, and that's probably what will happen when the final plan unfolds for
> the renovation.  It will be a rental property, so having a pre-wired fire
> detection and alarm system would be a good idea anyway.  And, doing it
> while all of the walls and ceilings are open makes the most sense.  The
> one-time cost of the system will not be too much and then the tenant(s)
> can choose whether they want to pay for monitoring or not.  But either
> way, they'll have a good security system in place which is a good feature.
>
> But, for now, all I need is a simple alarm system while it's vacant to
> protect what is in the basement (tools, the gas boiler, etc).

I used to have rentals, and I am sure this will vary by state, but I was
cautioned by my attorney that for liability reasons I should not promote a
security system of any kind as part of the package.  In addition he
recommended I add a section which basically read,

"This premise is rented as without a security or alarm system of any kind,
and if a system exists it is considered to be non-functional and not a part
of the tenant agreement.  In addition if such a system exists or is
installed in the future or is activated and used by the tenant it is solely
at the discretion and liability of the tenant, and the tenant agrees that
all associated responsibility and liability for its use existence, failure
or nonuse rests solely with the tenant."

I am quoting from memory so the exact phrasing may be off a little.  I sold
all my rentals at the peak of the real estate bubble, so its been a while
since I have read one of my rental contracts.  I am not giving you legal
advise, but rather relating an anecdote which I claim supports the argument
that you might wish to seek legal advise before promoting a feature which
could expose you to additional liability.