Re: Outdoor CCTV problem

On Nov 21, 10:30=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 19, 9:11=A0am, Robert Macy <robert.a.m...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Before my time, that's for sure.

> > > What I mean is the network functionality is one of the neatest featur=
es.
> > > You just plug it into an empty port on your router. People love being
> > > able to pull up their cams from work, home (for a commercial job),
> > > vacation, whatever.. =A0 A web browser is all you need, no iDevices
> > > necessary.
>
> > > --
>
> > > "I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality=
.
> > > If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
> > > We're going to kill you first, period."
>
> > > October 19, 2011 - Ali Soufan =A0(Colbert Report)
>
> > Perry Mason RERUNS!
>
> > This would be a 'local' network only. =A0I purposely keep to dial up
> > modem speeds. =A0Three times before a virus could get downloaded I've
> > had time to physically pull the connection.
>
> Well, ...... I guess that answers a lot of potential questions.
>
> So .... let's see ..... You want cameras and technology available here
> in the 21st century, yet you're basing it on a 20th century
> infrastructure.
>
> Have you ever heard of a virus protection application, like Norton and
> 50 more on the market and a router with security settings? =A0It makes
> for very comfortable use of your computer, on line. You'll no longer
> have to type with one hand while holding the wire to you modem in your
> other.
>
> Sounds like you'd like to get the most that you can with the least
> amount of investment, which is fine. But come on! .....
> There are just some things that you have to bite the bullet on if you
> want this to work out. When you're done with your project are you
> going to say, this is great .... or ..... this is good enough?
>
> Don't agonize over the cost and nickel and dime the job to
> inadequacy. =A0After you've done a good job and the system works great,
> the cost fades away. If you don't do a good job, it will live with you
> every time you look at it and you'll say " I shouda done this or
> that ..... forever.
>

> > But the concept of 'plug n play' in a macro system is intriguing.-

LOL  at the image of holding a cable in one hand, cruising the 'net,
with beads of sweat forming.

However, when I used to have all those whiz bang antiviral programs I
had MORE sweat beads wandering what they were going to do next to
whatever I was working on - even while off line!  Plus, the S L O W N
E S S . . . .

The concern for antivirus software being installed reminds me of an
incident with one of our WinXP systems. [Rarely turned on, rarely
used] whcih ran EXTREMELY slowly, sometimes to the point of appearing
hung up, especially when starting to connect to the internet.  So I
went to the WinXP usenet group, asked for help, and someone named,
Papa Bear, jumped in and I was given dire warnings about the malware
slowing down the XP, so upload to "??" website and someone will look
through the morass of software crap Microsoft deems necessary to run.
First thing someone did was start tirading about lack of antivirus
software, get that installed THEN come back and we can help. Ok
installed all kinds of antivirus software, in and around XP running
slowly, and went back.  Uploaded what was running, waited, and waited,
and waited, and still ony kept getting tirades aobut malware slowing
down the XP and how MUST protect against that.   Offline, the XP was
still miring itself down, although no detectable malware, nor
viruses.  So, months went by, XP still running slowly, and had to put
up with people posturing about the impoprtance of anti malware/
viruses. Ok hat in hand, because, XP still running like molassess.  In
desparation, went to the Win98 usenet group, apologized for being Off
Topic, and instantly got three repliess within the hour. which said go
to the registry, look for "..." and kill it, then go to the something
soemwherelese, and kill it permanently.  I did that and ZIP! the XP
was fast, except for all the bloated code from the antimalware, so
removed all that, cleaned it all out and now the XP acts as fast as it
should, a nice slow computer.  So my conclusion WinXP is its own
malware/virus

Back to Security System costs, buy right and be done with it.  Also, I
found the best way to do a security system was to ignore everything
being hyped, and simply define "what EXACTLY am I trying to do." That
way, when the system is assembled, and does what I wanted it to do,
I'M DONE! ..and by definition it is a great system, since it does what
I want.

So far the 'professional' rules appear to be
hardwire, wireless is NOT 100% reliable yet
use motion detectors INTENDED for outside use.
provide light

I think the base line for a GREAT system is to sit down and figure out
the level of false alarms I can stand, and if I could accept a single
missed positive   Exactly, what type of alarm indicator do I want?
Bell, lights, silent alert with quiet recording?

make a list of needs: is detection enough, or do I want to view what
caused the detected intrusion? yes
1. go stand and look, pretend you're a camera, what are you trying to
see? when - dark, light, into sun? Use digital camera to get a
'flavor' for what a camera sees.
then decide camera, lense, distance, field of view, weather the camera
will be submitted to, lighting
2. what to do with the screen shots
how often 'review' info, amount of storage, type of storage
3. how to view
real time/post production, separate monitors, or insert in TV system,
etc  this function appears to be where most of the whiz bang hype
lurks now.

Did I miss anything?  Something I should also consider?