Re: Opinions on backup reporting devices

On Jul 13, 10:21=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jul 11, 9:48=A0pm, mleuck <m.le...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

R.

> > > It doesn't surprise me .... it just pisses me off.
>
> > > This trade, consisting of thousands of small alarm installation
> > > companies, competeing with mega companies, who has been gradually
> > > forced to price their installations to almost cost and be mostly
> > > dependent on their recurring revenew to stay in business, are
> > > additionally being forced even further off the charts, by now, (due t=
> > > the unreliability of newer transmission methods,) having to use newer
> > > transmission methods that require futher erosion of their bottom line
> > > or being =A0put in the position of having to raise their prices to th=
> > > end user with no benefit to the installing company.
>
> > > The end user never sees the benefit or the disadvantages.
>
> > > If this were a Jame Bond movie it would seem like an isideous plot by
> > > some unknown villain trying to slowly and subtley destroy the alarm
> > > installation trade.
>
> > > All someone has to do in create a device that is just like a cell
> > > phone. Call it a "Cell Dialer" =A0When an alarm occurs, it "pushes" t=
he
> > > send button to make a call to Centrals receiver. When the receiver
> > > transmitts, the Cell Dialer "hears" the signals. When the Cell dialer
> > > is =A0done it "pushes" the End button. Put it as a second phone on th=
> > > customers cell phone account. It's just a freaking telephone
> > > call !!!!!
>
> > > There are devices on the market that can divert your cellphone to you=
> > > house phones. I don't know specifically how they work but maybe that'=
> > > an avenue to explore.
>
> > > What am I missing here?
>
> > I must be missing something because it sounds like you are describing
> > a standard Uplink or Telguard GSM device and I'd think you would pay
> > more for that standard 2nd phone account than you would with an Uplink
> > or Telguard..?
>
> > You'd also miss out on remote access which customers like and 2-way
> > voice which sounds like you don't do anyway but from what I've seen
> > the remote access more than justifies the increase in monitoring cost
> > to the customer.-
>
> If I remember right I added my wifes cell to my account and It's
> $16.00 more per month. There are services like Magic Jack that I think
> I remember someone saying that it works with alarm systems. But my
> point is ....... If it doesn't exists now .... what's the big problem
> with making a product that CAN utilize the technologies available? =A0I
> mean, everyone says that transmitting via the internet in not
> reliable ..... well why can't they develop a signal protocol that
> transmitts over the internet with parity check or repeat back or sum
> check? =A0and the answer is ..... they CAN..... and that leads to the
> FINALand REAL question ...... =A0Why do I need another F....king
> partner?

RHC: On  another note, even if the VoIP options of MajicJack or
Nettalk Duo did actually work, they really wouldn't be suitable for
security use.

When your computer does it's automatic update check for Windows,
depending upon settings, it often downloads them automatically during
the night, and on occasion reboots the computer. When you access the
computer in the morning, it has been sitting in a state of non
readiness for some time until you choose the appropriate user as part
of the rebott process. Once complete, the MajicJack automatically
comes back on line, but in the interim, it has been offline for some
hours , making it unsuitable for security purposes.

The Nettalk Duo often has network problems that "hang" the device,
loosing dial tone in the process, requiring a frequent "reboot".
Overally, I find it far less reliable than Majicjack, but still a good
choice for voice services when you don't want to leave a computer on
all the time.

So even if you could get either of these devices actually working and
able to send a legible signal,  they still wouldn't be suitable for
security purposes.