Re: Opinions on backup reporting devices

On Jul 6, 11:14=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a problem with some of the backup wireless devices that are
> being promoted and being =A0used today that don't promote or provide for
> redundancy reporting.
>
> In the past, when setting up back up radio devices, the back up device
> reported at the same time as the land line dialer. Now days, I find
> that even though the devices are now capable of sending CID .... they
> never send an alarm signal unless the dialer doesn't detect a dial
> tone. And anyone I talk to about this just doesn't think that it
> matters.
>
> Any one have thoughts on this?

RHC: Well, lets look at the alternatives...

1- Dial tone works, panel reports regularily, backup unit is
static....all is well
2- Dial tone doesn't work, backup reports....all is still well. Backup
likely advises the fact that TLM is down, either then or in advance,
in which case client knows his phone line is out in advance of the
alarm...all is well
3- Dial tone works, panel sends, backup also sends and duplicate
signals are received at the station....not sure how good or useful
this is, but in some cases it can count against your signal count on
the backup device

If the backup device is only used for backup, I don't think it matters
much if at all. If it's being used as primary communications, the
signal goes through faster than a phone line. If the backup device is
programmed NOT to send the weekly or daily test....all is still well,
since lack of a test signal from the panel itself tells the dealer
that the panel is not working in regular phone line mode for whatever
reason.....

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't see a problem ???