Re: Whaddya know about Secure Link / 2Gig / Alarm.com

On Aug 14, 9:32=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 7:58=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Well, if it's as bad as Vonage is down here, then I would tell the
> customer that it just doesn't work ..... also.
> And ..... obviously couldn't/wouldn't represent that the system would
> communicate with central. However, (I think contrary to you), I would
> install a non monitored system if the client wanted it. There are some
> people who just don't want to be monitored for whatever .... reason,
> regardless of what I think or what we know in our experience. Again,
> as long as it is stated in the paperwork and monitoring is declined by
> the client .... that's his choice.
>
> The most we can do is convey the knowledge of our years of experience
> and try to advise/convince the client to the limits of our
> consciousness. As long as I'm convinced that the client is in full
> understanding and =A0(as initialed and pointed out on paper) accepts the
> responsibility for his decisions ..........
>

> > RHC: No, I don't see it quite that simply. Although the consumer
> > always has the last choice in the matter, in my opinion, if we as
> > professionals allow or provide a communication service that simply
> > DOESN'T WORK (which is the case at least here in my area of Canada),
> > or even if it has a known major reliability problem, and we install
> > the system regardless just to make money, then that is a clearly
> > negligent act. Anyone who KNOWINGLY sells a product or service that
> > doesn't work is misrepresenting the truth, and besides it being
> > illegal in most places, this leaves themselves open to liability
> > claims.
>
> > You situation may be quite different since you say VoIP actually does
> > work in your area. It does NOT work up here at all. I've tested it
> > extensively, from many suppliers, and even when it works to begin
> > with, it doesn't work over time, to the point where even the client
> > asks about the sense of keeping things going. I cannot in good
> > conscience provide service under those conditions. However, a lot of
> > dealers install a keypad where the client can view the event log and
> > tell him to just watch things.But when things do go sour, what's the
> > client supposed to do about it (except keep paying of course....:((
>
> > We may simply have to agree to disagree on this point (but our
> > situations ARE different) . I won't lower my professional standards
> > just to make money no matter how many of these other scumbag companies
> > will !!!-

RHC: Yes, a non-monitored system would be one thing to do. However, I
do not install non-monitored systems for two reasons - first, I am far
too busy (overloaded actually) installing monitored systems that as we
both know, are the only professional solution, and the only one that
contributes to my business's long term financial health (RMR).
Secondly, IMO, they don't work for their intended purpose - to get
response to an alarm. People have all sorts of reasons for installing
local systems, most of which come down to they are simply too cheap to
finish the system. Or they are worried about false alarms costing them
money. Or they don't believe police response is worth the cost. Or big
company pricing has scared them off. Whatever the reasons, I am in the
business to help people, and to make money. Encouraging them to short
change their system just to make a few bucks on the system itself is
not in the cards for me.

The closer I get to my second "glass ceiling" of 1200 accounts, the
fussier I get on things like takeovers and some types of
installations. VoIP communication solutions is just another of the
many things I have to avoid in this business.