Re: Whaddya know about Secure Link / 2Gig / Alarm.com

On Aug 12, 11:36=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 8:55=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This deal?http://www.securitynetworks.net/news.php

> > > Who, and what ethics are being questioned?
>
> > > Do you know of a better dealer program?
>
> > RHC: Just to add a few personal thoughts on the thread. I looked at
> > the 2 Gig technology products carefully and IMO, they are part of a
> > trend towards giving the customer more control over his alarm and
> > building in more user friendly options for the sole purpose of
> > increasing sales to the alarmco. Nothing wrong with that, except it's
> > the wrong emphasis ! =A0Although the equipment is oriented more to user
> > convenience than pure security, I am told by a large alarmco that it
> > is selling very well up here in Canada.
>
> > The system is wireless, and IMO is not the quality of conventional
> > wireless products from major manufacturers, but obviously sufficient
> > for the job at least on the short term. Longer term...we'll see. IMO
> > again, it's popularity emphasizes the fact that current major
> > manufacturers are falling down on the job by failing to address the
> > move towards increased IP communication and more user friendly
> > options. Conventional =A0panels should have this feature built in to th=
> > boards themselves rather than depending upon expensive add on modules.
> > Speaking for myself, I am losing customers by the droves as they move
> > to VoIP, and they will not pay for any kind of cellular backup. They
> > think that since VoIP voice services work so well, they cannot
> > understand why their alarms don't as well. I also see more alarmco's
> > simply hooking up the client not knowing whether services will work
> > reliably or not, yet still locking clients into contracts they cannot
> > get out of if the service doesn't work properly !!!!
>
> > Personally, I looked carefully at the 2Gig equipment but decided not
> > to take it on. My emphasis is a complete security package for the
> > client, both physical and electronic and NOT just in gaining long term
> > contracts, so I can spend more time offering more complete solutions
> > to clients. "Whoopyshit" convenience features, while very marketable
> > to clients, shouldn't be the overriding emphasis in buying a security
> > system, but for a lot of customers, this seems to be more important
> > than less attractive, but more sensible, "low end" solutions.
>
> > Right or wrong, I'm going to stay with the tried and true !
>
> You say you are losing clients due to them switching to VoIP? =A0 Why?

RHC: Because VoIP simply won't work reliably enough for alarms up
here, and many customers are unwilling to purchase any kind of extra
cost backup hardware. They'll gladly pay me top dollar for the best
equipment I can install, but just won't or can't understand why VoIP
doensn't work, so want to "mickey mouse" communications to the
station. A large part of my customer base come from the far east, and
VoIP offers inexpensive calling back to India and places like that.
Bell Canada and Rogers land line services are just not competitive
price wise.

I'm sure many of them are simply calling other local dealers who don't
give a sh*t who would monitor over a barbed wire fence as long as the
client signs a contract with them. Then when the panel doesn't work
properly (if the customer  even knows, which in most cases they
don't), it's too damn late to back out because they are locked in by a
long term contract (why any customer would ever agree to that knowing
that things might not work out and they'd be stuck, is way beyond my
comprehension !!!!!! )

Frankly, I don't mind losing these kinds of customers if I must lose
any !! But what REALLY bugs me is the local scumbag companies win, and
I lose because I insist on doing things right....!!!!!!!!!!!!