Re: Whaddya know about Secure Link / 2Gig / Alarm.com

On Aug 11, 9:33=A0pm, G. Morgan <G_Mor...@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rob @ Sirius Wrote:
>

> >Actually the more I dig into this the more it looks like a shady deal
>
> This deal?http://www.securitynetworks.net/news.php
>
> >....and
> >he actually likes the deal (no ethics on him).
>
> Who, and what ethics are being questioned?
>
> Do you know of a better dealer program?

RHC: Just to add a few personal thoughts on the thread. I looked at
the 2 Gig technology products carefully and IMO, they are part of a
trend towards giving the customer more control over his alarm and
building in more user friendly options for the sole purpose of
increasing sales to the alarmco. Nothing wrong with that, except it's
the wrong emphasis !  Although the equipment is oriented more to user
convenience than pure security, I am told by a large alarmco that it
is selling very well up here in Canada.

The system is wireless, and IMO is not the quality of conventional
wireless products from major manufacturers, but obviously sufficient
for the job at least on the short term. Longer term...we'll see. IMO
again, it's popularity emphasizes the fact that current major
manufacturers are falling down on the job by failing to address the
move towards increased IP communication and more user friendly
options. Conventional  panels should have this feature built in to the
boards themselves rather than depending upon expensive add on modules.
Speaking for myself, I am losing customers by the droves as they move
to VoIP, and they will not pay for any kind of cellular backup. They
think that since VoIP voice services work so well, they cannot
understand why their alarms don't as well. I also see more alarmco's
simply hooking up the client not knowing whether services will work
reliably or not, yet still locking clients into contracts they cannot
get out of if the service doesn't work properly !!!!

Personally, I looked carefully at the 2Gig equipment but decided not
to take it on. My emphasis is a complete security package for the
client, both physical and electronic and NOT just in gaining long term
contracts, so I can spend more time offering more complete solutions
to clients. "Whoopyshit" convenience features, while very marketable
to clients, shouldn't be the overriding emphasis in buying a security
system, but for a lot of customers, this seems to be more important
than less attractive, but more sensible, "low end" solutions.

Right or wrong, I'm going to stay with the tried and true !