Re: Whaddya know about Secure Link / 2Gig / Alarm.com

On Aug 13, 4:06=A0pm, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Aug 12, 1:05=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > On Aug 12, 11:36=A0am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > You say you are losing clients due to them switching to VoIP? =A0 Why=
?

> > RHC: Because VoIP simply won't work reliably enough for alarms up
> > here, and many customers are unwilling to purchase any kind of extra
> > cost backup hardware. They'll gladly pay me top dollar for the best
> > equipment I can install, but just won't or can't understand why VoIP
> > doensn't work, so want to "mickey mouse" communications to the
> > station. A large part of my customer base come from the far east, and
> > VoIP offers inexpensive calling back to India and places like that.
> > Bell Canada and Rogers land line services are just not competitive
> > price wise.
>
> > I'm sure many of them are simply calling other local dealers who don't
> > give a sh*t who would monitor over a barbed wire fence as long as the
> > client signs a contract with them. Then when the panel doesn't work
> > properly (if the customer =A0even knows, which in most cases they
> > don't), it's too damn late to back out because they are locked in by a
> > long term contract (why any customer would ever agree to that knowing
> > that things might not work out and they'd be stuck, is way beyond my
> > comprehension !!!!!! )
>
> > Frankly, I don't mind losing these kinds of customers if I must lose
> > any !! But what REALLY bugs me is the local scumbag companies win, and
> > I lose because I insist on doing things right....!!!!!!!!!!!!-
>
> In my area, VoIP is pretty reliable. Not as good as POTS, but we can
> up/download with very few exceptions.
>
> I "feel" the way that you do about it but will not lose customers to
> other alarm companies because of it. I simply explain to the client
> the differences and limitations of VoIP compared to POTS. Tell them of
> the experiences of some VoIP users and some of the bad things that can
> happen. Offer them backup and .... if they choose to do it anyway, I
> have them sign a disclaimer stating that they have been told about the
> short comings and been offered a backup device. Although I agree with
> your principles it is the end user who makes the final "informed"
> decision. =A0I know there are many alarm companies out there who don't
> take the time to do ..... even this.
>
> I don't see that this is any worse than suggesting that a customer get
> double keyed dead bolts, bars on their basement windows, re-enforced
> doors, all doors and windows with wired contacts, motion detectors,
> glass break detectors and alarm screens and have the customer decline
> and just choose to get a basic perimeter alarm with motion detectors.
> As long as he has been informed and has weighed the possible
> consequences against the depth of his pockebook, he makes the
> final ..... informed choice.

RHC: No, I don't see it quite that simply. Although the consumer
always has the last choice in the matter, in my opinion, if we as
professionals allow or provide a communication service that simply
DOESN'T WORK (which is the case at least here in my area of Canada),
or even if it has a known major reliability problem, and we install
the system regardless just to make money, then that is a clearly
negligent act. Anyone who KNOWINGLY sells a product or service that
doesn't work is misrepresenting the truth, and besides it being
illegal in most places, this leaves themselves open to liability
claims.

You situation may be quite different since you say VoIP actually does
work in your area. It does NOT work up here at all. I've tested it
extensively, from many suppliers, and even when it works to begin
with, it doesn't work over time, to the point where even the client
asks about the sense of keeping things going. I cannot in good
conscience provide service under those conditions. However, a lot of
dealers install a keypad where the client can view the event log and
tell him to just watch things.But when things do go sour, what's the
client supposed to do about it (except keep paying of course....:((

We may simply have to agree to disagree on this point (but our
situations ARE different) . I won't lower my professional standards
just to make money no matter how many of these other scumbag companies
will !!!