Re: Esprit 728 keypads

On Feb 24, 8:13=A0am, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RHC: I actually wrote the president of Paradox about this issue of non
> compatibility. Needless to say, I didn't even get the courtesy of a
> reply.
>
> In speaking with others within the company, the whole idea of backward
> compatibility was "poo pooed" as a non issue, and not even practical
> if they plan to be innovative in their development of new products for
> the market.This is classic big company "bullshit" thinking -sell like
> hell and forget support.!!!! =A0Who the hell do they think thieir
> customers are??? Piss dealers off and they doom themselves in the long
> run
>
> One thing I have noticed in this industry, most alarm people are quite
> "reactionary" and somewhat unforgiving of companies that mess with
> their business. All it takes is one bad experience with a comany's
> products and =A0they remember forever - even after the original problem
> has been resolved.
>
> Frankly, if they didn't make such good products, I would consider
> going back to DSC for my installations. As it is, I do more DSC
> installs now than I had ever planned to do......
>
> Paradox, I hope you're listening (but then you have to care as
> well.....)

Depends on what you are being backward compatible with. I expect that
within the same family of panels (DSC Power series for example) but
you can only go so far with it, I don't expect backward compatibility
with a PC5010 keypad on an ancient PC1550. Staying compatible with old
technology usually limits the new. For example I can take a brand new
Honeywell 6150RF keypad and add it to an Ademco 4110DL panel from 1990
and it will work fine, even adds some wireless capability to a non-
wireless panel however the price for that is Honeywell/Ademco's keypad
bus over the years stayed extremely slow compared to other
manufacturers which you really can't see unless you pile on additional
keypads.

Sometimes it's better to break with the old way like DSC, Caddx, ITI
and Napco did in the mid 90's.