Re: want to see Bass trying to get out of an argument that he cant win?

"Jim Rojas" wrote:

> I was speaking abou the FDA as a whole. It seems drugs approved 5-10 years
> ago now have swarms of ambulance chasers plastering 10 second commercials
> urging people to file claims again these drug companies. We all know the
> heart of the problem is the FDA taking these clinical trails at face value.
> They rush to get things approved, no matter who gets killed along the way.

That may well be, Jim, but I've personally benefited from clinical trials.
Two of the three chemotherapy combinations I've taken since my surgery have
slowed (though not stopped) the tumors and significantly prolonged my life.  I
was involved in the newest trial -- DNA based "fine tuning" of the chemo
prescription -- last year.  Unfortunately for me, it didn't stop the disease.

One major problem for pharmaceutical manufacturers is that clinical trials, as
well as lab development and animal testing, takes years and costs over $100M
to bring a single product to market.  Part of the reason the expense is so
great is that FDA regulations are very stringent.  Manufacturers may well be
tempted to cheat.  AFAIK (this is not a subject I'm up on so I may be wrong),
the FDA itself doesn't do actual testing.  I think its all done by the
manufacturers who then submit results for approval.  The FDA does require
continuous streams of reports as testing goes on, especially once human
subjects are involved though.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass