Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

On Oct 7, 2:44=A0pm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RHC: How does this really say anything about the value of the lockout
> feature. If another company was to discover your installer code, it
> doesn't matter a damn whether it's locked or not, since they simply go
> in with that code and unlock the board, then default to factory.

Well for one thing they have to figure out what the installer code is
which unless you have a lot of free time to punch buttons or know
someone who works at that company and is willing to share the code
which is highly unlikely. I had a massive list of lockout codes for
the Dallas Ft Worth area but I can still think of a number of
companies who's installer code I could never figure out.

> In my experience, installer codes are usually "discovered" by another
> company because the previous company installer foolishly wrote it in
> the programming sheets and left the paperwork inside the can. Or an
> installer got fired and hired on with the new company giving up this
> information to his new bosses.

That's always a possibility but it doesn't mean the lockout function
is useless, far from it with most installations.

> If I lose an account to an incoming company when a new client buys the
> house, there is no way for them to find out my installer code. They
> can't dial in since they don't know the panel ID. All they can do is
> default and start fresh. So how does locking it solve anything other
> than to cost the incoming company a $50 board....no big deal
> really !!

Actually that $50 IS a big deal, most installers don't carry extra
boards so they leave, order the replacement board then come back so
that often doubles or triples that $50.

Time + effort + equipment

> All I can say is, if the alarm business is so cutthroat in certain
> parts of the world, and there are actually companies going around
> raiding other's accounts, I can certainly understand the tendency to
> want to lock all the boards. Any defence against that kind of storm,
> must appear useful !! =A0We simply don't have that sort of thing
> happening on a regular basis in our town.

Hence your not understanding the value of locking out boards

> I do see a lot of locked boards coming my way from the Toronto area
> though. I suspect it's because of the effect of the "super
> discounters" (monitoring from $6 to $9 monthly) who have a big station
> in that city. So regular companies are saying..."if you're going to
> steal my accounts because of a customer of mine wishing to go with
> your cheap price, you're going to have to pay at least $50 to do

Doesn't that discount your previous "we don't see that happening in
our town"?