Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

On Oct 1, 5:35=EF=BF=BDpm, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 5:43=EF=BF=BDam, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:> "tourman" wrote:
>
> =EF=BF=BDUnfortunately, there are far too many "professional" installers =
who
> really
>
> > ought to be doing something else.
> > Regards,
> > Robert L Bass
>

> RHC: I suspect that anyone who has been in the industry for awhile has
> seen his share of poor quality installations. I know I have, likely
> due to the high rate of new alarm companies coming and going in the
> business, made worse here in Ontario because there are no licenses of
> any sort required for security services.

Would just like to point out that licensing in no way cuts down on
poor quality work. Just because someone passes a test and gets a
license doesn't mean that the have the ethics or even the ability to
comprehend what the importance of what this trade is about or what
good quality workmanship is. I see it allllll the time. And I'm not
even sure it's intentional. I've had people work for me who were
former alarm company owners for 15/25 years and I've had to teach them
how to snake a wire rather than breaking sheet rock. Or even how to
secure a wire to a fish snake, so that it wont slip off. That a motion
detector isn't going to detect under itself if you mount it over 8
feet high. That when told to check to make sure the zones are all
working on a takeover, that you don't just check for continuity and
the view at the keypad. That it's necessary to check each and every
opening for open and close and visually for possible problems.  And
the list just goes on and on. And what's licensing going to do about
that? What do you do when you see work like that being done? Call the
licensing bureau and report them for poor quality workmanship? You
think they're going to go out and check his jobs and fine him .....?
Aint gonna happen.

So don't get your sights too fixed on what you think licensing is
going to do. Just like any other govenment run office, it's all about
them getting the money for doing as little as possible or nothing at
all. You WILL get a good long list of the things you're not supposed
to do and you can get fined for but they have nothing to do with
workmanship. They'll get you for not finger printing employees, not
having a license. Improper employee records. Not displaying your
license number. etc etc. But workmanship?   NAAAAH! that not in the
least bit important to them. When we were first licensed in NY, and
people reported infractions to the Department of State, they were told
that they were not an enforcement agency. If they wanted enforcement
of state law they've have to call the NY State police and report the
infractions. Yeah ..... sure.!

As for the rest of your post ..... Ahem!!!!

If you insist on bringing up these old ghosts, ............ that 99%
of the trade disagrees with you about .....
Most here wont take you to task on them ..... but you know that I
will. We disagree on this and it works both ways. If you feel you'd
like to raise the dead .......... so can I.

Without a rebuttal, anyone reading what you say, can think that what
you say is what the whole trade thinks to be true ....  which is not
the case .... and you know it.

Anyway, ................. I just thought we'd seen the last of that.
It's been pretty nice here .... of late.