Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

On Oct 1, 5:43=A0am, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "tourman" wrote:

 Unfortunately, there are far too many "professional" installers who
really
> ought to be doing something else.

> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> Bass Home Electronics
> DIY Alarm and Home Automation Storehttp://www.bassburglaralarms.com
> Sales & Service 941-870-2310
> Fax 941-870-3252
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

RHC: I suspect that anyone who has been in the industry for awhile has
seen his share of poor quality installations. I know I have, likely
due to the high rate of new alarm companies coming and going in the
business, made worse here in Ontario because there are no licenses of
any sort required for security services.

Because of this, I absolutely have to carefully inspect every
"takeover" before I agree to put it on line. Most of the large company
installations are OK, some even very well  done.  On average, they are
adequate for the job, but usually some measure of upgrading is
necessary before I am happy with the installations. And then there are
the very few local companies who's jobs you learn to simply walk away
from !! On average, I accept about 7 out of 10 "takeover" requests,
and of these, 3 out of 7 require some measure of "repair" or upgrading
to be satisfactory to safely put on line with the authorities.

I have to admit, I am becoming very disillusioned with the security
industry. With far too many companies, ethics seem to take a distant
back seat to making money at any cost. There are a few industry
"standard" self serving practices that simply are not in the best
interests of consumers....unnecessary and very restrictive long term
contracts being one..... and this business of locking boards being
another. Frankly, there are very few if any legitimate uses for the
lockout feature that many if not most manufacturers put in their
boards (Ademco being the exception, at the keypad programming level
anyway....). I truly believe these companies should be taken to task
for implementing a feature at the request of large companies that only
works against all other companies, and more often unfortunately, which
ends up working against the innocent end user.

And it's something that they continue to deliberately do as if there
is a legitimate reason for if . For example, DSC recently implemented
changes that make it impossible with our current methodology to unlock
their 1616 and 1832  boards. An inside source has told me they did
this to ensure that every locked board would result in the sale of a
new board, and we would no longer be able to cut into this sales
stream. It never enters their mind of course that what they are doing
is WRONG; its all about a source of lost revenue to them, and to hell
with the ethics of it !! To me, it's a lot like the tobacco
manufacturers passing all the blame on to the smoking consumer and
washing their hands of any responsibility......

Well, let me tell them if they are reading this, I will turn the earth
upside down to figure out how to crack their boards, to help ensure no
one else can be screwed by this feature !!!!!!!!!!!

I still enjoy installing 2 to 3 systems a week with my son but the
time is getting closer than ever to retire. Once you start focusing
too much on the problem areas, and forget that the silent majority of
alarm companies are honest and do their best for their clients, you've
lost your objectivity, and it's probably time to go......:))