Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

"tourman" wrote:

> RHC: Yes, I agree with you Bob. I most certainly wasn't lamenting the fact
> that I don't get these kinds of clients. Far from it, I wouldn't take these
> kinds of buyers for all the money in the world. They are completely outside
> my area of business interest.

The funny thing is these folks often become my clients.  Looking to save on
the cost of professional services, they shop online.  Needless to say, I don't
mind.

> I was just commenting on the fact that in other industries like the
> telecommunications industry, there are those who try to take only the most
> profitable part of the business and leave the rest alone. It's a good
> business model if you can make it work !! These people fill a need and this
> sort of thing doesn't affect legitimate dealers in the slightest.

I suppose that every business looks for the most profitable segment of the
industry.  For you profitability means a long-term relationship providing
custom-installed systems that encompass more than just electronic security.
For me the most profitable client is the DIYer who knows exactly what he
wants.  A close second to that is the client who relies on my knowledge to
select his system but has the skills to DIY.  For these companies the profit
center is a folks who don't want to pay a pro.  They're different slices of
the same pie.  As long as each caters to clients who want what he's selling
all is well.

> One of these discount places asked me some time ago to be their contract
> service rep here in Ottawa. They asked me to visit the guy they were
> presently subcontracting to see if he was up to the task. I did, and bottom
> line, any competent DIY'er could have run circles around him. The guy
> actually asked me to take over his system and fix it (fat chance....:))

Unfortunately, there are far too many "professional" installers who really
ought to be doing something else.

> I just have to wonder what the thousands of people who subscribe to these
> dirt cheap monitoring centres will actually do when their client's systems
> need attention...!!!!

Hopefully, they'll call me.   :^)

--

Regards,