Re: Brinks & Broadview Takeovers

On Sep 30, 9:13=A0pm, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> "tourman" wrote:
>
> > RHC: Yeah, in the telecommunication industry, we used to refer to compa=
nies
> > like this as "cream skimmers". What can they really give the client for
> > $5.95 monthly other than basic monitoring. You have to wonder how the e=
nd
> > user gets service and warranty when (not if) the panel needs attention.=
 Good
> > for a competent DIY'er for sure, but no good for anyone else in the
> > marketplace !
>
> If they're just offering monitoring and no warranty, they are about even =
with
> many of the third-party monitoring centers whose services most local alar=
> companies resell. =A0As you pointed out, they can't offer anything in the=
 way of
> service at that price. =A0But the consumer who uses them doesn't value th=
> services of an installing dealer. =A0That may be because he has not had g=
ood
> service from some dealer or it might just be that he wants to save a few
> dollars a month. =A0In either case, the dealer's only effective tool to c=
ombat
> these guys is to offer quality service at a reasonable price. =A0Let them=
 skim
> the cheapskates off the top. =A0You don't want or need those clients. =A0=
But by
> offering good value you gain the loyalty of the best clients -- those who
> value what you do more than what you charge.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>
> Bass Home Electronics
> DIY Alarm and Home Automation Storehttp://www.bassburglaralarms.com
> Sales & Service 941-870-2310
> Fax 941-870-3252
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

RHC: Yes, I agree with you Bob. I most certainly wasn't lamenting the
fact that I don't get these kinds of clients. Far from it, I wouldn't
take these kinds of buyers for all the money in the world. They are
completely outside my area of business interest.

I was just commenting on the fact that in other industries like the
telecommunications industry, there are those who try to take only the
most profitable part of the business and leave the rest alone. It's a
good business model if you can make it work !! These people fill a
need and this sort of thing doesn't affect legitimate dealers in the
slightest.

One of these discount places asked me some time ago to be their
contract service rep here in Ottawa. They asked me to visit the guy
they were presently subcontracting to see if he was up to the task. I
did, and bottom line, any competent DIY'er could have run circles
around him. The guy actually asked me to take over his system and fix
it (fat chance....:))

I just have to wonder what the thousands of people who subscribe to
these dirt cheap monitoring centres will actually do when their
client's systems need attention...!!!!