Re: Napco system questions

On Jun 9, 8:47=EF=BF=BDam, Frank Olson
<use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Robert L Bass wrote:
> > "Frank Olson" wrote:
>
> >> Actually DSC remains one of the most feature rich alarm panels out
> >> there when you compare similarly priced panels from other
> >> manufacturers. =EF=BF=BDIt's a heck of a lot easier to program than Na=
pco.

> > I kind of agree, but not entirely. =EF=BF=BDI suspect it's mostly "easi=
er"
> > because you use it more often than Napco. =EF=BF=BDI've programmed so m=
any Napco
> > systems that I can (and often do) walk a customer through programming a
> > system without even opening the program on my PC.
>
> > OTOH, the few DSC systems I ever programmed were so simple (there were
> > less options) that they could easily be configured from the keypad. =EF=
=BF=BD
> > Even after many years working with Napco, I never program them from the
> > keypad.
>
> > As to feature-richness, Napco has (I forget) 61 or 62 individually
> > selectable per-zone options. =EF=BF=BDThat's 2^^62 possible ways to con=
figure
> > each individual zone. =EF=BF=BDThere are hundreds of options, selectabl=
e and
> > adjustable features, timers and so forth for the system as a whole. =EF=
=BF=BDI
> > don't believe DSC's residential panels even come close.
>
> I wasn't referring to things like zoning options, Robert. =EF=BF=BDThe en=
d-user
> rarely sees these and most wouldn't understand what they are. =EF=BF=BDAd=
emco's
> highest end system (the Vista 250) still doesn't have telephone line
> monitoring. =EF=BF=BDThis has been a "standard feature" on DSC panels fro=
m the
> start (the only exceptions being the early "1000" and the "1500"). =EF=BF=
=BDAll
> of their panels had "chime", bell supervision, and "quick keys". =EF=BF=
=BDFor
> the money (cheap), they had all the stuff the "big boys" offered (and
> sometimes more). =EF=BF=BDIf you take a look at the zone options menu, yo=
u can
> program a number of features now that you couldn't do before. =EF=BF=BDTh=
ey
> remain one of the easiest systems to keypad program which probably
> accounts for their popularity.-

As is known here, I use Napco.  Through the years I've occasioally
attended DSC seminars and had to reprogram DSC panels. What I've found
is that the ones that I've run accross and have been demonstrated to
me at the seminars don't do everything that the Napco panels do.
That's not to say that one always needs to do everything that Napco
does .... either. But, if I have the choice, I'd rather have as many
options at hand as possible in the panel I'm installing,  Also, Napco
has a number of panels of lesser capability that certainly must have a
market too.

As far as ease of programing, I've been programing Napco panels for so
long that it doesn't present a problem .... to me. When it's explained
to someone how to do it, it's a logical way and anyone that I've
taught how to do it, doesn't have a problem with their programing.
It's all in the understanding of what the method is. Just like any
other panel, I guess there are some out there who have a problem with
it. I don't and never did. I just took the time to learn and
understand it.

So ... for me, it's not the programing ease or not, that makes me
avoid DSC. The total options available could be overlooked because, as
I say,  one doesn't use all the option the higher end Napcos have
anyway, but to me it's the cheapness in the quality of the DSC
producst that bothers me. Everything is so flimsey. Every thing is
made out of tissue paper. Metal, plastic, PC boards. Much too
delicate. Their flat transmitters .... if you open them more than 3 or
4 times, the case is ruined. You have to bend the cabinet doors so
they'll fit on the box. You put a little pressure on the screw
terminals and the PC board bends like it's about to crack.

I'm used to the panel I've been using for so many years so obviously,
I'm in no market to change but if I were, even though I don't like
Ademco/Honeywell documentation, I'd go with them as second choice, not
with DSC. As far as programing any panel. To me, someone looking to
change panel mfg should not let ease of programing take precedent over
what the panel can do and it's quality. One can always learn how to
program their panel of choice. It's just a matter of practice.

Whenever Napco has come out with a new panel or downloader program, I
take an entire day off ..... set it up on the bench and spend the
entire day programing and writing down questions that I have to ask
tech support .... in order to understand it. Trying to do it out in
the field is not the thing to do. After that ... it's just practice,
practice practice.

Those that are not willing to learn about what they do for a
living .....in order to obtain quality and more options,  that's their
problem. I guess DSC programing appeals to those that fall into that
category.

And I can appriciate that too. I just ran across a guy who's been
using Napco for about twenty years. I was talking about obtaining
signal strength for wireless transmitters when installing a system. He
asked ..... "How do you do that?"  I don't know if I siged and rolled
my eyes in my mind or on the outside, but I  told him to read the
f.....g  instructions.

Now that's my idea of a primary candidate as a DSC user.