Re: Napco system questions

"Jim" wrote:

> As is known here, I use Napco.  Through the years I've occasioally attended
> DSC seminars and had to reprogram DSC panels. What I've found is that the
> ones that I've run accross and have been demonstrated to me at the seminars
> don't do everything that the Napco panels do. That's not to say that one
> always needs to do everything that Napco does .... either. But, if I have
> the choice, I'd rather have as many options at hand as possible in the panel
> I'm installing,  Also, Napco has a number of panels of lesser capability
> that certainly must have a market too.

Absolutely agree, especially about having the options.  It's generally better
to have it and not need it than the other way around.

> As far as ease of programing, I've been programing Napco panels for so long
> that it doesn't present a problem .... to me. When it's explained to someone
> how to do it, it's a logical way and anyone that I've taught how to do it,
> doesn't have a problem with their programing. It's all in the understanding
> of what the method is. Just like any other panel, I guess there are some out
> there who have a problem with it. I don't and never did. I just took the
> time to learn and understand it.

Same here.  Years ago when Napco first came out with the MA-3000 I took the
2-day (or was it 3?) seminar up in Massachussetts.  A couple of techs there
didn't seem to grast it but all the rest had no problem at all.  Like
an6ything else, once you've done it a few thousand times it's a piece of cake
doing it again or teaching others to do it themselves.  Since that is at the
core of my business model, Napco's software is a major plus for me.

> So ... for me, it's not the programing ease or not, that makes me avoid DSC.
> The total options available could be overlooked because, as I say, one
> doesn't use all the option the higher end Napcos have anyway, but to me it's
> the cheapness in the quality of the DSC producst that bothers me...

Yep, that too.  When even the cabinets are kind of flimsy, the rest just seems
to be low budget as well.

> I'm used to the panel I've been using for so many years so obviously, I'm in
> no market to change but if I were, even though I don't like Ademco/Honeywell
> documentation, I'd go with them as second choice, not with DSC. As far as
> programing any panel. To me, someone looking to change panel mfg should not
> let ease of programing take precedent over what the panel can do and it's
> quality. One can always learn how to program their panel of choice. It's
> just a matter of practice.

That's true for most techs but for me the programming app is very important.
I teach people to use the stuff almost every day so I want an app that's easy
to master.  Napco's current version of Quickloader (IMO) definitely fills that
bell.

> Those that are not willing to learn about what they do for a living .....in
> order to obtain quality and more options,  that's their
problem. I guess DSC programing appeals to those that fall into that category.

I don't think that's fair, Jim.  Some folks get used to DSC (as we are to
Napco) and simply continue using it in the belief that it's the best choice
for their business or (one hopes) for their customers.

> And I can appriciate that too. I just ran across a guy who's been using
> Napco for about twenty years. I was talking about obtaining signal strength
> for wireless transmitters when installing a system. He asked ..... "How do
> you do that?"  I don't know if I siged and rolled my eyes in my mind or on
> the outside, but I  told him to read the f.....g  instructions. Now that's
> my idea of a primary candidate as a DSC user.

Naah.  He'd just bush that up, too.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass