Re: A Crying Shame

Roger W wrote:
> On Jul 13, 9:56 pm, "Robert L Bass" <Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> "Roger W" wrote:
>>
>>> You don't have to know all those things to be VP...
>> No, but it would help if she at least knew *something!*
>>
>>> Look at our highly qualified president. All he needs is a teleprompter and
>>> some good speech writers.
>> Every candidate and almost every politician uses teleprompters.  It's like
>> having notes while giving a speech.  Why do you think public speakers have
>> always used podiums?
>
> I saw a movie a long time ago where this guy was getting some "head"
> from this chick hidden by the podium while he gave a speech. But other
> than that, I don't know. Come to think of it, why do they use podiums?

Police Academy?

I can offer what I was taught wen I used to do a lot of public speaking
an teaching.

The podium is a security blanket for public speakers.  It presents a
physical barrier between the speaker and his/her audience.  It also
serves as a place to organize one's notes.  I found that the better my
notes the less I needed to refer to them - just knowing they were there
was enough to help me relax and not lose my place.

I was also taught that getting out from behind the podium and moving
around makes for a more dynamic and interactive presentation but that
doesn't work so well in most political settings.

Of course anyone with any skill at public speaking doesn't get
completely stumped if his notes get screwed up.  I always found that
going over my presentation at least three times within 24 hours of event
ensured a smooth talk.