Re: Window Sensors

>When it hits the energy spreads out much like ripples >on a pond.  As it
>spreads out from that point, traveling along the surface of the ground, it
>looks for the easiest >path.

Now I see where your thinking is off a bit. However the concept of the
energy is spreading is okay, the stroke itself is not a single event.
High speed videos (examined frame-by frame) show that most lightning strikes
are made up of multiple individual strokes. A typical strike is made of 3 to
4 strokes. There may be more. Each re-strike is separated by a relatively
large amount of time, typically 40 to 50 milliseconds. In any case alarm
wire is not of a gauge to handle the joules in lightning, What is happening
is the build up and collapse of a electromagnetic field that induces a
voltage in the wiring. Not necessarily a transmission of the power in the
stroke itself. If the lightning used the wiring as a pathway it would be
totally barbequed from one end to the other on the path of travel. That is
not descriptive of the damage I have witnessed.

>Naah.  That would only mean that I had either studied >xerography or broken
>into a museum.

No it would mean that lightning struck you and you miraculously survived.

http://teslamania.delete.org/frames/lichtenbergs.html

Lichtenberg figures, sometimes called "lightning flowers" or "skin
feathering", are sometimes formed beneath the skin of humans who have been
struck by lightning. The unfortunate victim will often have one or more
reddish radiating feathery patterns that branch outward from the entry and
exit points of the strike.

Should that ever happen to you be certain to post it here.