Re: OT Crowding the Interesection DOES NOT get you out there any faster...

> I think the reason is that with a passenger
> or even a CB conversation, there's the
> shared expectation that driving comes first
> and that there will be lapses in the
> conversation to support that expectation.
>
> With a phone conversation, the person at
> the other end is not part of that little
> covenant.

You may be right.  I've no statistics on it --
only the observation that when the phone
rings drivers often reach for it, taking their
eyes and their attention off the road because
they're in a hurry to grab the phone before
the caller hangs up.

I use the speaker phone option when making
cell calls in my car so I can keep my hands
on the wheel.  I considered a helmet adapted
(Bluetooth, maybe?) phone for riding but
decided even that would be too distracting.
Instead I keep my cell in the glove box on
the bike.  I can hear it ring and if there's a
safe place to do so I just pull over.  I'm rarely
in a hurry when riding.  It's a pleasure thing,
more than "transportation."

BTW, as to Mark's comment about "street rep,"
if I cared about that I'd have bought a big
Harley.  I hardly think a 650cc scooter with
an overweight, bald guy tooling along in traffic
is going to impress anyone.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass