Re: Press "1" for English

>> What difference does that make to you?
>> If it takes them longer to learn the language
>> that's their problem.
>
> Up to a point.... but part of what makes the
> USA a better place to live is that we share
> a common language - which enables us to
> share more of a common culture...

Have you ever watched a Down Easter try to talk to a Texan?  :^)

> To the extent that large numbers of people
> fail to learn that language and have children
> who also fail, part of the very thing that
> brought them here is being undermined.

I disagree.  First of all, children almost invariably learn English in a matter of months.  For example, my two nephews came here
about 8 years ago.  Neither one spoke more than a few words of English.  The older one graduated from high school four years later
with high honors.  The younger one graduated with numerous medals for sports, academic and personal achievements.  He was also named
homecoming king even though he made no effort to "run" for it.  The older boy is now an electrical engineer working for a large, US
company.  The younger one is studying computer engineering.  Both of them also ran their own PC and network repair business while in
high school.  Their mother is an English professor but their dad, who still commutes from Brazil twice every month, has more
difficulty with English.

This family is not very different from most of the Brazilian families I've come to know in Florida.  Parents whose jobs expose them
to English learn the language in a reasonable time.  Children learn to speak, often without even a trace of their old accent, in a
short time.  Parents whose work and social circles are limited, whether by choice or happenstance, have greater difficulty.

Where we really differ on this is in your belief that the existence of non-English speaking minorities somehow harms the rest of us.
IMO it only makes their experience more difficult.  Unfortunately, there is no 100% effective solution to the problem.  There will
always be immigrants -- legal and illegal.  Most are just trying to make a better life for themselves.  Many contribute to our
economy and many of them do great things in and for their adopted country.

The biggest hindrance many of these people face isn't the language.  Racial prejudice, political games and crooked business owners
are their worst enemies.  These are the same people and forces which made your and my ancestors' lives difficult when they arrived
here.  We should be fighting against them and not with them against immigrants.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics