Re: Press "1" for English

> The difference is, Your parents learned English
> and were assimilated into the culture of this
> country. The present day Hispanics will take two,
> three or more generations to learn English if they
> can push two to hear it in Spanish .... if the kids
> are taught in school in Spanish...

What difference does that make to you?  If it takes them longer to learn the language that's their problem.  If some business
decides to make its phone system easier for Hispanic people to use, that's their decision.  It takes nothing away from you.

> If they can get their bills in Spanish. If all the
> signs are written in Spanish.  The longer they
> take to be assimilated into the culture the
> more the culture that they came here to live in
> will be the very culture they wanted to get away
> from.

That's just plain ignorant.  Most immigrants don't come here to escape their own culture.  They come for opportunity and freedom.
They bring their culture with them and, in many ways, improve things along the way.  What a boring place this would be if we were
all the same.

> ... And there are still hard core prejudices today.

Frequently expressed right here in ASA.

> The Hispanics want to come here and enjoy
> our prosperity compared to where they live
> now. Our nation has always prided itself on
> welcoming people from other countries and
> cultures .... but it was with the intention that
> they embrace our culture and become part
> of the melting pot that has helped make our
> country what it is, not to isolate themselves
> from it.

Becoming part of the "melting pot" does not mean abandoning one's heritage -- or one's language.  My wife's family and many of our
friends are Brazilian.  They all try to learn English as quickly as they're able.  Some are more adept at learning a new language
than others.  School kids learn very quickly but partents, especially those whose jobs are with other Brazilians, ave a much harder
time.  All of them get to partake of the opportunity and the culture of America in many ways.

What they bring with them is their own cultural heritage and their own language.  By learning Portuguese (well, trying to anyway)
I've been able to enjoy a more direct contact and better personal relationships with many friends and associates in Brazil.  I live
there for several months every year.  But I make no pretense of abandoning my American culture and no one expects me to do so.

> By allowing them the option of not speaking
> english, it will change our culture...

Nonsense!  Your "culture"  will not be change by the presence of non-English speaking people in this country.  There will simply
always be some people whose conversations are a mystery to you if you don't bother to learn Spanish.  That's your problem and it's
not their obligation to help you out.

> The way it is now, they want every thing they
> had in their native country...

Heh, for many that is close to nothing at all.  I've visited the barios of Mexico city and the favelas of Brazil.  You cannot
imagine the poverty and despair.

> but they want it with all the benefits.... by living
> off of the people who've lived, worked and
> cultivated this culture for generations...

Wrong again.  Most want only to work and try to earn a living, just like everyone else who ever came here -- including your
ancestors.

> If they had to go through the process of integration
> over a generation or two .... thats the price they have
> to pay ....

The price they pay is the same as your progenetors.  They usually have to take menial jobs until they get established.  Dishonest
businessmen take advantage of them.  Some suffer personal discrimination.  Most somehow get by, doing whatever it takes to feed
their familes and trying to live the "American dream".

> But, because of the liberal, far left do-gooders and
> organizaions like theCommunist ACLU, who think
> that Freedom is free to anyone who says they want
> to come here...

You mean it's not?