Re: Brinks vs. Tech-man.com

Robert L Bass wrote:
>>>The copyright issue will be the nasty one.
>>>The rest is kinda bullshit.
>

> Have to agree with Olson on this one.
>

>>Only if he charges for the manuals.
>

> That's not 100% correct.  Copyrighted material is protected from any unauthorized reproduction, regardless if others are also
> violating the owner's rights.  If Jim can demonstrate that they knew that lots of websites offer them but made no attempt to halt
> it, he could defend that claim but it would be an expensive lawsuit and they've got deep pockets.

First of all, they're "end user" manuals.  Brinks (for quite some time)
allowed open access to their manuals "online".  They acknowledged this
in one of the letters to Jim.  As long as Jim acknowledges the copyright
(doesn't try to provide manuals with his own logo in place of the Brinks
ones), and DOESN'T CHARGE FOR THEM, he should be OK.

They do have "deep pockets" though.  If they DO decide to pursue legal
action, I'll be first in line to help out with a significant donation to
Jim's Defense fund.  Since they were kind enough to provide a copy of
their contract, I'd like to put it on the
http://www.yoursecuritysource.com website.  I think it's a sterling
example of exactly why you shouldn't "buy" one of their systems.