Re: Secure Window

> Robert,
>
> That is not a problem.  My challenge is that the
> customer is 55 miles away and need to make
> one trip.  I have to go there after the windows
> are installed minus the trim and be loaded for all
> possibilities.  My biggest fear is that the contractor
> will rip the wires out and cause me major grief.

> Thanks for the offer.  I already have some of the
> rare earths.

No problem.  I suspect you'll be ok on this, Les.  Given the round trip distance involved, I'd call Certainteed and get exact
dimensions.  They might even fax you a schematic if you ask.  Her'e's their number.  800-233-8990.

Damage from other tradesmen is always an issue.  If the home already belongs to your customer, you're in a better position to deal
with it though.  In future consider including in your agreement a statement that the customer is liable for any additional, labor,
materials, etc., required to complete the job should anyone not working for you damage your work.  This works especially well if you
have the client agree to notify you when your work can be done -- that is, when he expects the framing and other rough-n work to be
completed but before the insuilation goes in.  This puts the onus of choosing the right timing on the clint and since it's his
project that is a unreasonable burden.

I've prewired countless homes over the years and though the insulators can occasionally cause problems I've found that by doing my
work the day before they arrive I avoid a lot of cut wires.  I got out of it six+ years ago when I sold the installing company.  Now
I just do online sales to DIYers.  Though I enjoyed it for many years, I don't miss it.  Selling online and by phone is fun and it
gives me the freedom to do a lot of things with my family that I never could before.

BTW, the worst prewire I ever had to work on actually was a free job I did for my sister.  She was building a new home and I
prewired her security system for her.  It was a long drive from my home so I took a weekend off to prewire and test everything,
including installing the switches (I always preferred doing that during the prewire).  After checking everything I left.

A few weeks later I came back to finish up and nothing worked.  I pulled out one recessed contact after another and found every wire
had been cut and, worse, the service loops had been cut off.  I had to retrofit the whole system.  It turned out that her next door
neighbor was PO'd because the builder had sold the lot to my sister rather than him.  He wanted to keep it vacant because the new
home would block his view!  He apparently got into some trouble for vandalizing the property, taking construction materials or some
such thing.  I had known he was a problem neighbor but it never occured to me how much of one.  The weird thing is this was an
educated guy, en electrical engineer.

Anyway, best of luck on the project.

--

Regards,