Re: Secure Window

> This brings me to ask the question.  Does anybody have
> any tricks or suggestions for vinyl windows for both top
> and bottom sash with out voiding the warrantee???

One problem with vinyl windows is seating a recessed magnet.  Most
vinyl windows have too narrow a space at the bottom of the sash.
Certainteed's "Devon" line is an exception.  There's a hollow chamber
in the bottom rail deep enough to fit a "stubby" magnet.
Unfortunately, the upper rail's chamber is too short for a recessed
magnet.  Even a stubby model probably won't fit.

Better yet, there's a recessed space deep enough to cement a "rare
earth" magnet in place without even drilling the sash.  That approach
minimizes warranty concerns.  The space is on both the upper and lower
rails.

Certainteed replacement windows come with vinyl frames which fit into
the pre-existing window opening.  The frames have a hollow space which
is deep enough to fit the recessed magnetic switch.  Sometimes the
switch can work loose if it's not seated in something thicker than the
vinyl frame.  To prevent this, smooth a tiny dab of RTV (silicone
caulk) around the switch before seating it in the hole.  This will also
prevent water seepage, though most such window frames have weep holes
to allow any water that does get in to run out.

Note that Certainteed's warranty does provide an out for them if they
believe your work has contributed to any damage.  They state,
"CertainTeed shall have no liability under this warranty for: A.
Defects or failure caused by improper handling or storage or by
installation not in strict adherence with CertainTeed's written
instructions."  That would certainly include damage caused by drilling
the sash since they make no mention of it in their installation
instructions.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
Badd Home Electronics