Re: store system w 4-8 cameras ?

Bob Worthy said:

>And yes, out of
>the three different types of protection, watermarking is probably the least
>effective. But it has been introduced and if anyone has ever been involved
>in a court case or even a deposition should know the twists that these
>freakin attorneys can put on things. They will try to discredit your
>expertise in a heartbeat. Do you think "coulda woulda shoulda" would cut it?
>Do you think that badenov's comment of "thats all marketing bullshit" would
>cut it? Maybe, maybe not, but I would think one better have a better
>solution to combat the question because the comments are going to a jury
>that doesn't know any better.

You're making this way more complicated than it really is.  If it's a video
of a holdup, the victim can testify that the video, watermarked or not,
accurately shows what happened.  He knows, because he was there.  If it's a
video of a nighttime burglary, then the video better be able to show the
perps well enough for the jury to be convinced the defendant did it.

Watermarking only enters the picture if there is some question that the
video accurately shows what happened.  That is a question for the judge,
not the jury:  the judge decides whether the video evidence is reliable
enough for the jury to even see it.

The defense lawyer needs some reasonable basis for saying the video is
wrong.  He can't just say, "I think somebody edited the video, prove they
didn't."  He also can't claim that space aliens impersonated his client and
robbed the bank, rather than his client, and then dare the prosecutor to
prove it didn't happen that way.

So the only way watermarking is ever going to be an issue is if a defense
lawyer can convince a judge that there is a reasonable possibility someone
tampered with the video.  Now, if George Lucas is out to get you, he can
probably produce watermarked video  proving that you shot JFK.  But in real
life, I don't see a bad guy getting off by claiming somebody altered the
video.  How would he prove that's a reasonable enough possibility for the
jury to even consider?

- badenov