Re: Brinks vs. Tech-man.com

"Roland Moore" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:wRR5h.11131$rG.10157@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> If you use the Napco v 5 for Windows software it is a little easier that
the
> older DOS stuff. The DOS stuff was especially nasty when you were plugging
> along in a group of features and it switched and jumped to a whole new
range
> of numbers just to keep programming the same type feature information.
Then
> the v 4 Windows stuff had those zone types where the were trying to take a
> page out of the then Radionics book to have regular global loop codes. I
bet
> everyone would find errors on their programs because the error check
itself
> wasn't bug free. It would always flag false error messages. Those kinds of
> things I feel it would be hard to explain to a DIY guy. Hey new guy, trust
> me! Pay no attention to the errors the application says you have in your
> program. Napco still won't include the older 1000, 1008, 1016, etc. in the
> new v 5 for Windows so you still have to mess with the old DOS interface
on
> legacy panels..

I found the DOS program slightly easier to use. The windows version is
better if using a networked database although in my opinion it's not
designed for a large database.

Napco 5.2 has the 1000e, 11008e and 1016e, I wish they'd hurry up and add
the LKDL series

> Napco GEM series isn't the kind of system that likes to be keypad
programmed
> like an (Honeywell) Ademco low end Vista or low end DSC. I could see a
DIYer
> having an easier (but still not easy) time with those panels.

Which is why both panels have a much larger market share, Napco has powerful
panels but they are a pain to program